How Much Do Shallots Cost?
A shallot is a type of onion that originated in Central Asia. Similar to garlic, shallots are formed in clusters of offset with a head composed of multiple cloves. The skin color will range anywhere from a golden brown to a lighter gray. Its off-white flesh is either green or magenta.
How much is it?
- Shallots are popular as an ingredient and can be bought fresh from local stores; however, online stores also sell the product and it can be shipped. The price for the shallots can depend on the retailer, time of year and availability. On average, a basic pack of shallots is going to cost anywhere from $3 to as much as $13 per pack. The bags are usually around 16 ounces.
- Larger bags that are 50 pounds or more could cost as much as $600 for a bag. For a general estimate, if purchasing per pound, the bag will be between $8 and $15 per pound.
- For example, fresh shallots packed in 16 ounce bags can be shipped within 2 to 3 days upon ordering. A 16-ounce bag can cost anywhere from $11 to $13 per pack. A pack of 100 to 200 seeds can range from $4 to as much as $8 per packet. For instance, David’s Shallot Saffron retails for $6.95 per pack.
- For those worrying about the shelf life of shallots, freeze dried shallots are an option. These shallots have been properly frozen to ensure a longer shelf life. For example, OliveNation.com is one of the stores that sell this type of product. They sell shallots in 1.25 ounce packs which are priced from $6 to $8 per pack.
What is going to be included?
- Shallots are packaged in a variety of ways. They are offered fresh or can be bought dried depending on how the company manufactures them and what form you prefer. They can also be bought in various quantities.
- There are several varieties of shallots depending on your location. They are available in various shapes and sizes and their features also vary depending on the kind of shallot cultivated.
What are the extra costs?
- Companies that sell shallots can ship the items for free but the customer should meet the minimum purchase requirement for the product. If this is not met, the company may charge shipping fee which depends on the weight of the item.
- Depending on the use of the shallots, other ingredients or cooking appliances may be necessary.
Tips to know:
- You will find that there are a variety of shallots available in the market and depending on the kind, different flavors can be produced which can benefit your cooking..
- Shallots are known to have more flavonoids and phenols compared to other onions.
- Shallots are often used as an elementary spice combined with garlic. They can also be pickled in a mild vinegar solution.
- Fresh shallots can be stored for six months or longer if kept in a cool, dry area.
How can I save money?
- If you need large quantities of shallots to be delivered and you have a hard time finding them locally, you may want to consider contacting a supplier since they can offer to look for the item and have it shipped to your home, lessening the cost.
- Consider checking local farmer’s markets during the summer months to find cheaper shallots.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.