How Much Does a Car Jack Cost?
A car jack is a mechanical device used to lift a car so that maintenance, such as oil change and tire replacement, can be performed. Car jacks apply very high linear forces through the use of a screw thread and hydraulic cylinder. The two main types of car jacks are the mechanical jack and the hydraulic jack. Both categories have several sub categories of jack, each offered at its own price. The cost of a car jack will depend on the load capacity, the brand and where you purchase it.
How much is it?
- On average, a car jack can cost anywhere from $20 to $200. Average purchases are going to be between $20 to $55. An assisted jack that has electric capabilities, such as one used in a mechanic’s shop, can cost much more.
- An all steel hydraulic floor jack that can lift up to 2 tons is sold for $20 to $50.
- An electric jack makes lifting vehicles easier as it can be operated with just one push of a button. This jack can be plugged in any vehicle’s 12v DC power outlet and can lift up to 2000 pounds of weight. The jack can extend from a 5 inch to 14 inch lifting height. An electric jack can cost anywhere from $85 to $105.
- Car jacks are also sold with a bottle design. This car jack can load up to 3 tons and can lift up to 21 inches high. This type of jack is meant for heavier types of vehicles but it can be used to lighter vehicles as well. These are priced at $52 to $64.
- For example, the popular brick and mortar based store Harbor Freight Tools offers a wide variety of car jacks that cost anywhere from $60 to as much as $200. For instance, they have a 2 ton lightweight aluminum racing jack with a rapid pump that retails for $159 to $199.
What is going to be included?
- Jacks usually come with their own case. Also included will be a handle bar which is used to pump the car jack.
- To protect consumers from any defect during manufacturing, manufacturer’s include a warranty for the car jacks. This warranty can last upwards of a lifetime depending on the brand. Refer to the documentation to get more information.
What are the extra costs?
- To assist in maintaining the height of the car once it is lifted by the jack, you will need to purchase jack stands. These stands can go anywhere from $20 to $35.
How can I save money?
- Check how heavy your vehicle is and buy a car jack that can support the weight of your vehicle. The higher the weight capacity of the car jack, the higher the cost will most likely be.
- Consider purchasing a jack used. These can commonly be found on classified sites such as Craigslist. When purchasing from these sites, ensure that you ask the previous owner to see if they function properly. If possible, meet in a safe spot to check it’s authenticity. Purchasing one used can save upwards of 50%+