How Much Does a Cupcake Cost?
Rather than baking a cake that needs to be cut and served to each guest, cupcakes can be individually wrapped and easy to eat with your hands. Cupcakes are ideal for just about any type of celebration. Whether the occasion is a birthday, a day out with the family, or a corporate event, everyone will love these well-loved pastries.
Available in countless varieties, cupcakes can also be customized according to your preferences. With the array of flavors and variants and innumerable ways to customize them, cupcakes can be a cost-effective way to celebrate special occasions.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a cupcake at a local bakery is going to be anywhere from $1.50 to as much as $4. This price is really going to depend on the credibility of the bakery, the flavor, size, number of cupcakes, and ingredients used.
- For instance, at Charm City Cupcakes in Baltimore, Maryland, the average price of a cupcake is $2.75.
- Georgetown Cupcake in Washington, DC offers cupcakes at $2.75 each. A half a dozen costs $15 while a dozen costs $29. Everyday flavors include Chocolate, Chocolate Ganache, Milk Chocolate Birthday, Red Velvet, and Vanilla Birthday. The company also offers weekly specials as well as seasonal flavors.
- If you just looking to make cupcakes at home, they can be made from scratch or by using a boxed recipe. Baking cupcakes from scratch will cost about $10 for all the ingredients, and baking cupcakes from a cupcake mix can be from $1 to $5.
What is going to be included?
- Bakeries will have many options when it comes to customizing cupcakes. You can choose cake flavors such as chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, etc., and you can choose from different types and colors of frosting. You can also have cream or fruit filling in the center of the cupcake.
- Cupcakes can be purchased individually or by the dozen, depending on the manufacturer. The items may be sent frozen and shipped in insulated containers and packed with dry ice to help preserve freshness.
- Sizes are going to range from mini cupcakes to jumbo cupcakes that are larger than the standard ones cooked at home.
- If you purchase a box of cupcake mix, the only thing that will come in the box is the dry ingredients. Other ingredients will need to be purchased.
What are the extra costs?
- Customized orders such as special coloring or writing on cupcakes require additional fees. At some cupcake stores, the charge is $0.50 per cupcake or $3.00 per dozen. Some cupcake makers offer custom-stamping of company logos on cupcakes. The charge for the custom stamp is $5.
- Since most bakeries will appreciate at least a week’s notice, rush orders will more than likely have a premium fee.
- Delivery fees may also be charged depending on the customer’s location. At some suppliers, the delivery charge within their area is $15 and $2 per mile (one way) if outside their area of operation.
- Shipping may also be charged separately, with some companies charging $18 for flat rate shipping and $40 for overnight shipping.
- Making cupcakes at home will require other ingredients such as eggs, milk, and oil. You will also need a cupcake pan and some cupcake papers.
Tips to know:
- Many cupcake stores offer weekly specials as well as seasonal flavors, which can be ordered any time of the month.
- For deliveries, stores may have a minimum order, with some requiring at least a dozen cupcakes for delivery within their area. Some stores have a three-hour window for scheduled deliveries.
- Many cupcake makers offer variants that are gluten- and sugar-free as well as cupcakes for vegetarians.
- Overnight delivery of cupcakes is usually recommended to ensure freshness, especially if the products do not contain preservatives.
- Some cupcake stores require advance payment for pickup and delivery orders.
How can I save money?
- Consider buying in large quantities. Bakeries typically offer significant discounts on volume orders.
- Consider picking up your order instead of having it delivered by the store. Many cupcake stores have various branches located in different places. It is often recommended to call the nearest store, place an order and then pick it up at the scheduled time.
- Find cupcake stores that offer free shipping to save on shipping costs.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.