How Much Does a Muffin Cost?
Muffins are quite similar to cupcakes but are less sweet and do not have an icing on top.
Muffins can easily be made from the same ingredients that are used to bake different types of bread. One good thing about muffins is that they are very easy to make at home – that is, if you have some baking skills. Some of the flavors or ingredients that you can use for your muffins includes chocolate chips, raspberry, strawberry, boysenberry, pumpkin, carrot, almond, nut, cinnamon, date, banana, lemon, orange, peach, date, and poppy seeds. Most muffins that are made at home are smaller than those sold at a grocery store or bakery. At-home muffins can be compared to the size of a baseball, while bakery muffins can be compared to the size of a softball.
Most muffins that are made at home are smaller than those sold at a grocery store or bakery. At-home muffins can be compared to the size of a baseball, while bakery muffins can be compared to the size of a softball.
How much does it cost?
- At a local grocery store, plan on spending anywhere from $1 to $4 per pack of four or six muffins that have been prebaked. Specialty bakeries will often charge $1 to $2 for one. However, these muffins tend to be larger than the ones purchased in multi-packs.
- For example, a 15 pack of four-ounce muffins on Amazon retail for $10.
- For those who want to cook muffins on their own, the cost comes down to about $0.05 to $0.20 per muffin, based on simple recipes.
- At Portosbakery.com, for example, muffins cost $1.15 each. At this bakery, they offer different flavors such as apple bran, banana nut, blueberry, carrot and apple, chocolate chip and pumpkin.
- Muffins at popular places such as Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks can cost around $1.25 t0 $2.
What is going to be included?
- All bakery muffins are baked fresh daily. Depending on the bakery, they may be hand made from fresh ingredients, baked with a pre-made mix, or simply warmed from a frozen state.
- Muffins purchased at the bakery or a local grocery store can commonly come in packs of four, six, eight and twelve. You can also get individually wrapped muffins or multi-packs of mini-muffins.
- Popular flavors include blueberry, apple, carrot, bran and chocolate chip.
- Depending on the popularity of the bakery, some may require that you make a bulk order 24-48 hours in advance.
What are the extra costs?
- Some flavored muffins cost a little bit higher than the ordinary ones.
- If you request for delivery at a local bakery, you might be charged extra for it. Delivery may require a minimum quantity. Also, muffins purchased from an online store can lead to additional shipping charges.
- If you are going to make muffins at home, you will need items such as a mixing bowl and mixer as well as other ingredients including eggs and milk.
- In order to bake the muffins, a muffin pan is needed. You will also need non-stick cooking spray or muffin papers to avoid the muffins from sticking to the pan.
- If you are going to serve muffins at a breakfast or meeting for many people, you should also have napkins available as well as coffee, tea, or hot chocolate to go with them.
Tips to know:
- Most muffins are best eaten warm straight when they come out of the oven. If you cannot get warm muffins from the bakery, you may reheat them briefly in the oven or microwave to revive the flavor and texture. Some people also like to spread butter on the muffin when it is warm.
- Gluten free muffins are made first thing in the morning before the rest of the bread is made.
- Muffins are good treats for breakfast, they can be served for tea, or for a midday snack. Individually wrapped muffins are also great for a snack or meal on the go.
How can I save money?
- If you are going to treat many, it is best to get a large platter package as it would come out cheaper than buying individual muffins from local bakeries. Make sure that you order at least 24 hours in advance.
- If you are fond of muffins and regularly crave one, consider baking them yourself. Muffin mixes can be purchased for less than $2. If considering a muffin mix purchase, be sure to look for coupons online or in the local paper to see if you can take advantage of more savings. There are even muffin pans that can be purchased to make larger muffins like those found in bakeries.
- Talk to the bakery about donation their day-old muffins. Because each muffin has to be made fresh each day, any left over muffins simply get thrown away. Sometimes, grocery stores or bakeries will be willing to donate these to your company or organization.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.