How Much Does a Scanner Cost?
A computer scanner, also known as an image scanner, is a device that scans any type of image and converts it into a digital image that can be transferred to a computer. In order to get the image from the scanner, software will commonly be needed. Besides a computer scanner, other types of scanners include film, sheetfed, photo, business scanners and more. The cost of scanner is going to vary depending on the type, brand, features and retailer you purchase from.
How much is it?
- On average, a typical computer scanner found at most homes can vary anywhere from $65 to as much as $450.
- A simple flatbed scanner that manually scans one item at a time can range from $50 to $130. For example, the Canon Canoscan LiDE110 retails for $56 to $66.
- Scanners that can feed more than 25-50 pages per minute can retail for $400 to $900. For example, a popular computer scanner online such as the Fujitsu ScanSnap retails for $429 to $500. This product in particular instantly converts files into a PDF at 50 or more pages per minute.
- Film scanners are ideal for those that want to scan over older 35mm film. These scanners can cost anywhere from $80 to $700.
- If you are going to do a lot more photo scanning than document scanning, a scanner designed for photos is more than ideal. Photo scanners are designed to scan at photo quality. A photo scanner can cost anywhere from $130 to $500.
- Scanners such as the VuPoint Solutions Magic Wand is portable and can scan any image that is “wanded” over. Portable scanners can retail for $85 to $195 depending on the brand.
- Higher end sheet fed scanners can cost anywhere from $900 to $6,000. Commercial scanners can get well into the $10,000 price range. Higher end sheet feeders can scan hundreds of photos per minute, instantly transferring them into digital files on the computer.
What are the extra costs?
- Standard USB cables that come with scanners generally are under 10 feet. Since most computer desks can be further than this length, a longer USB may be required.
- Portable scanners with batteries will require batteries in the future if used frequently.
What is going to be included?
- Newer computer scanners today will have automatic adjust settings that will be able to detect the exact image that you are looking to scan. Items that can be scanned include pictures, documents, papers and more.
- Upon getting a document scanned, the document will be transferred to the computer’s software. From there, the document can be saved on the computer as a digital file. It can be saved as a PDF, JPG, etc.
- Cables, documentation, and the software required to use it will be included with your purchase.
How can I save money?
- Higher end scanners over $500 should be protected by extended warranties through services such as SquareTrade. Most scanners are going to come equipped with a limited warranty that doesn’t generally last more than five years.
- Consider checking out eBay for second hand scanners that can save you up to 50%. Be sure to ask questions regarding the condition as well as how many items it has scanned in the past.