How Much Does a Stun Gun Cost?
A stun gun is a handheld device that can be used to temporarily immobilize a person. This can be used in self-defense since it will allow you a minute or two to get away from an attacker.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a stun gun is going to cost anywhere from $15 to as much as $90. The price will depend on the brand, voltage, and features.
- For example, BestStunGun.com has a flashlight stun gun that retails for $90 while their keychain version retails for $70.
What is going to be included?
- Stun guns have the power that ranges anywhere from 100,000 to as much as 925,000 volts.
- A stun gun is usually handheld and it will fire two stun probes. The low level of voltage is safe to use.
- These guns can often be disguised as lipstick or even a cell phone. Average lengths range from 10 to 20 inches.
- Additional features can include a flashlight and/or loud sounding alarm in case of an attack.
- Most of the companies guarantee their products by allowing their customer to examine and try the stun gun they for a certain number of days. A good company will offer a lifetime warranty.
- Rechargeable stun guns last for a long time compared with the battery-operated ones. Battery operated will commonly run on 9-volt or 3-volt lithium ion batteries. A good battery will last up to ten years.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping and handling fees may not be included in the price. This should not cost any more than a few dollars.
- With battery-operated stun guns, you will need to buy and replace batteries from time to time.
Tips to know:
- Stun guns are restricted in Connecticut, Illinois, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Wisconsin. However, both Illinois and Wisconsin allow you to carry them as long as you have a permit. Be sure to check with your local state to know the exact restrictions. Even if your state allows them, some cities within that state may ban them.
- The higher the voltage of your stun gun, the more layers of clothing it can go through. Pay close attention to the voltage amount.
- A stun gun will attack the muscle triggers of the body, causing the muscles to move uncontrollably in the same manner as muscle spasms.
- When using a stun gun, it can be applied anywhere on the attacker’s body. However, the best places to hit are the shoulder, the hip, or the ribs. Just hitting them in the arm or leg may only incapacitate them in one spot. Doing it somewhere in their midsection will cause the stun to affect more of the body.
- Pepper Spray/Mace. These materials come in a spray bottle of some type that can be carried in a pocket or even on a keychain. Pepper spray comes in four forms: forced cone, which has the advantages of both distance and full spray for aim; stream spray, which has the greatest distance but is tough to aim; foggers, which can affect many attackers in the area (but that means it can also affect you); and foam spray, which is ideal for windy conditions.
- Knuckles/Baton. There are devices that you can carry on your keychain which, when worn on the knuckles, can injure an attacker much worse than an average punch. A baton is a smaller version of a police baton and can be put on a keychain or slipped into a purse. This can be used to hit the attacker with more force.
How can I save money?
- Buy a stun gun that best suits your need and lifestyle, not because of its lowest price.
- A rechargeable stun gun is a cost-effective self-defense weapon because you do not have to worry about when to buy batteries and it lasts a long time, especially since the stun gun will rarely ever be used.