How Much Does a Tortilla Cost?
The tortilla is one of Mexico’s most authentic foods. Tortillas are commonly used in making food such as tacos, burritos, crepes, pitas, wraps, and quesadillas.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a package of tortillas is going to cost anywhere from $1 to as much as $5.
- Gluten free tortillas tend to cost $2 to $4 per pack.
- For example, a pack of six Old El Paso Tortilla Shells retails for $14 to $18.
What is going to be included?
- Tortillas are either going to be found in the grocery store’s refrigerated section or in the aisles next to the salsa or world foods.
- Tortillas are usually found in packs of 6, 10, or 12. This size is perfect for a family Mexican dinner.
- A tortilla is finely made from wheat flour. So basically, you will get as many and the same nutrients in a tortilla as the ones you get in bread. If made into a taco or quesadilla, you will have a balanced meal because of the addition of the veggies and the meat.
- Tortilla shells can come in many varieties. If you want hard tacos instead of soft tacos, you can purchase hardened tortilla shells in the same aisle. You can also buy a hardened tortilla shell in the shape of a bowl; these are perfect for making taco salads.
- Tortillas can come in different sizes, most often 8, 10, or 12 inch diameters. For tacos the 8 inch tortillas is perfect. For quesadillas you may want the 10 inch, and for a burrito the 12 inch will work best.
What are the extra costs?
- The more you purchase in a pack, the more you are going to have to pay.
- If you want a more flavorful tortilla, those that have flavors added can cost a pinch more.
- A fine-made, homemade tortilla costs more than the name brands commonly found in the grocery store.
- If you want to make your own tortilla, you will need a press. A tortilla press retails for $12 to $25.
- While optional, you can also form your tortillas to shape a bowl. A bowl maker can cost $8 to $20 depending on the brand.
- No matter what you are making with the tortilla, you are going to need a few other ingredients. These will also cost extra.
Factors that influence the price:
- Location. Price varies depending on the area of the grocery store that sells tortillas mainly because of the demand from the customer and the tax that they add to it.
- Size/Amount. A large bundle of tortillas is definitely sold in a higher price.
- Brand. Different companies use different types of ingredients in making tortilla. They add some secret ingredient to it for a signature flavor, mainly because they want it to be distinguished, separating them from other companies.
- Variety. There are some tortillas that are gluten-free and some fine-flat ones; these are sold in higher prices than the ones made regularly.
Tips to know:
- Be familiar with the brands that sell the best tortillas. Quality is still better than quantity.
- A tortilla is a highly innovative ingredient. It is up to your playful and creative imagination to recreate other amazing recipes.
- It is a highly nutritious meal and a light meal as well, suitable for those who are on a diet.
How can I save money?
- Buy tortillas in bulk. Many of your wholesale clubs such as Sam’s Club and Costco will sell them.
- Make tortillas on your own way; it is easy since it is just made out of flour. It may not be as fine as the ones processed by machines but it is a great way to experiment in the kitchen and it will cost you less. To find out how to make your own, check out this Tasteofhome.com guide.
- Many of your name brands are going to have coupons in the local paper and through many social media outlets.
- If you want to make a taco dinner, consider purchasing an all-inclusive dinner pack. This will usually include the taco shells, the seasoning for the meat, and possibly even cheese and taco sauce. This will be much cheaper than buying each item separately.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.