How Much Does Brie Cheese Cost?
Brie cheese is a cow’s milk cheese originating from the Seine-et-Marne region of France. Brie cheese is considered to be a specialty cheese, and it is usually found in the deli section of your grocery store and is normally not with the packaged cheese.
How much is it?
- On average, plan on spending around $8 to $16 per pound. This is going to depend on the brand and where it’s purchased from.
- On TheKitchn.com, the blogger was able to find a supersized brie cheese wheel that retailed for $13.
- iGourmet.com, an online retailer, sells a two-pound block for $20 and a seven-ounce wheel for $5.
What is going to be included?
- The cheese is cream or yellow in color and it is nestled in an edible rind of white mold. It is common to eat the cheese and the rind together. Brie cheese is aged for five to six weeks before being put on the market. It is also an excellent source of protein as well as vitamin B12 and vitamin B2. A 30-gram slice has only 101 calories and 8.4 grams of fat.
- It can be purchased by the full round or by a pie shaped slice.
- Brie cheese comes in several varieties including plain and herbed. This gives it the capacity to be served as a sweet or savory dish. It can be used as an appetizer or as an ingredient in a recipe. Serving it with fruit and nuts makes it an extremely healthy and nutritious snack; a tray of this can often be found as an appetizer at a party. Brie is a very mild cheese with a slightly nutty flavor and it is perfect as an afternoon snack or as an appetizer for a black tie dinner party.
What are the extra costs?
- Brie can be served by itself. However, investing in crackers, champagne or wine is advisable. It is wonderful with both red and white wine and sweet or dry. It is extremely versatile because of its mildness. Putting a cheese and cracker tray together also requires nice tray and perhaps nice small plates on which the brie can be served and eaten.
- Brie that comes from overseas will generally cost more than those that are manufactured local.
- If are using the brie in a recipe, you will need to purchase the other ingredients separately.
Tips to know:
- What makes brie so delicious is its creaminess and the vast number of ways it can be served. It is best when it is slightly warmed as it becomes gooey inside. When you cut into a round, the cheese will seep out onto the plate. It is best served with a buttery cracker, strawberries, and champagne. Brie and champagne were made to be paired together. In France, brie cheese is often served as a breakfast item. It is served by the slice and many people like to dunk it in coffee.
- Because brie can be purchased by the slice or the round, it gives you the ability to purchase only the amount that you need. This means that there should never be a concern of waste. You can find brie in most grocery stores and wine and specialty shops. However, the most cost effective way to purchase is in your local grocery store.
- Brie is sprayed with a white mold that is known as penicillum candidum. This mold is applied during the cheesemaking process to help keep the cheese safe from micro-organisms.
- When you begin to cut the cheese, it will lose its quality immediately. When cut, it is best to consume within five days. After you cut it, it is best to wrap it in a wax or parchment paper.
- Purchase Brie rounds that are no more than 1 inch thick, and having a sweet odor. It should appear slightly bulging within the rind. Thicker rounds will be overripe on the edges and underripe in the center.
How can I save money?
- If buying from a local grocery store, keep your eyes peeled for deals or special promotions.
- If you need the cheese the day you are buying it, look out for manager’s specials. If the cheese is about to expire, you can get up to 80% off.
- Brie cheese will usually go on sale around the holidays when people are commonly throwing parties.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.