How Much Does Brown Sugar Cost?
Brown sugar is one of the many ingredients that can be used to add sweetness to whatever you are baking. Brown sugar is basically a sucrose sugar product with a brown color. The brownness is actually a result of the presence of molasses. Brown sugar may be unrefined or partially refined soft sugar which has sugar crystals and the residue of molasses, or it may also come in the form of molasses sugar.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of brown sugar depends on the brand, quantity, type and where it’s purchased.
- Basically, various types of brown sugar, such as muscovado, molasses sugar, turminado, demerera, or natural brown sugar, have varying prices. Raw brown sugar like muscovado sugar may be cheaper than other brown sugar products. Brown sugar products added in syrups or flavorings may also cost more than their raw counterparts.
- Typical brown sugar by the pound at a local grocery store will retail for $2 to $5 per pound. For example, the popular Domino brand usually retails around $5.
What is going to be included?
- Brown sugar can either be all-natural, meaning that it was made from the sugar cane. or it can be processed. While processed brown sugar will be cheaper, all-natural brown sugar is healthier and contains more nutrients.
- Brown sugar includes various types such as muscovado, turminado or demerera, natural brown sugar, or molasses sugar.
- Brown sugar includes 3.5 percent light brown sugar to 6.5 molasses based on total volume. It may also undergo processing. The brown sugar’s particle size is variable but generally less than granulated white sugar.
- Brown sugar is produced from the first crystallization of sugar cane. There is more molasses in natural brown sugar, meaning that it also includes more minerals.
- Brown sugar usually comes in one or two pound containers, which is usually a box or plastic type bag.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be required for shipping or delivery of brown sugar products especially for those that are purchased online.
Tips to know
- Before purchasing or ordering brown sugar, ask around or do some research online so that you can compare prices and get the best deal.
- Instead of using refined or processed sugar, you can go for natural brown sugar since it has more minerals. It is also a healthier option especially for those who want to take care of their bodies. Brown sugar is also a good ingredient for pastries, breads, and beverages.
- There are many theories regarding brown sugar versus white sugar. Many people believe that brown sugar is healthier than white sugar, the differences are so minimal that the difference is almost non-existent.
- Brown sugar is sweeter than white sugar, and it also has a moist, clumpy texture. Using brown sugar instead of white sugar when baking can affect the taste, color, and moistness of the baked goods.
How can I save money?
- Purchase brown sugar by bulk because most suppliers or sellers would provide discounts for large volume purchases.
- Check out various websites for affordable brown sugar products as well as promos and discounts so that you can save a great deal of money.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.