How Much Does CGC Grading Cost?
The CGC, known as the Certified Guaranty Company, was established as a way to grade the value of comic books. The CGC is responsible for grading the shape and quality of comic books people are trying to sell. If an avid collector is looking to purchase a comic book from you, having a high grade from the CGC can almost guarantee you a sale and possibly allow you to charge more for your items.
How much is it?
- The CGC offers several services aside from grading comic books. And they have several processes that guarantee the safety and condition of the comic books on which they are working. The price of the grading and other services that they offer will depend on the number of comic books submitted and the declared value of the comic books as stated by the client.
- For a lower valued set of comic books that are priced from $150 to $300, the CGC website offers several tiers of services. For example, their value and fast track service offers clients 20 to 40 business days of turnaround time for comic books valued at $150. The price for this service can be anywhere between $23 and $31 per comic book with a minimum of 30 comic books submitted.
- The company also offers an economy and economy fast track service which has a turnaround time of 20 to 40 business days for comic books that are valued at $300. This service can cost clients anywhere from $32 to $40 per comic book submitted.
- Some of the fastest services that they offer are reserved for comic books that are valued at $1,000 to $3,000. The standard and express service offers clients to get their comic books back within 5 to 15 business days. The price for this service can cost anywhere from $54 to $85 per comic book.
- If you visit a convention and the CGC happens to be there, you can take advantage of their walk-thru service where your comic book will be graded on the spot. The price for this service can range from $120 to $1,500 depending on the comic books’ fair market value.
What is going to be included?
- The CGC offers back and forth shipping for the payment of their service.
- CGC offers 4 steps of grading procedure that includes receiving, grading, encapsulating, and shipping of the comic books.
- CGC will grade the comic book by placing labels on them which will include the current condition of the comic book
What are the extra costs?
- CGC offers additional services such as recertification and reholder services.
Tips to know
- Several factors can ruin a comic book: time, humidity and temperature are some of the factors that can affect the quality and durability.
How can I save money?
- You can become a member of CGC if you are an avid collector since they offer discounts and member only access that can add value to the current service you are using.