How Much Does Corn Syrup Cost?
Corn syrup is widely used as a sweetener, replacing table sugar in various foods and beverages. You can also use corn syrup when you bake desserts such as cakes, bread, tarts, pies, and other pastries. Some cereals, processed foods, and beverages also use corn syrup as one of the ingredients.
How much does it cost?
- On average, corn syrup is going to cost $5 to $9 per 16 ounces. By the gallon, it will be between $18 to $24 on average. The costs will depend on the brand, size and where it’s purchased.
- For example, a 16-ounce bottle of light corn syrup costs around $8.99 at amazon.com.
What is going to be included?
- Corn syrup includes different products, sizes, and packaging (in can, ouch, or bottle, among others), as well as uses. Common sizes include 16 ounces and a gallon.
- Popular brands include Karo and Fox and Company.
- Corn syrup may include water and sugars. For instance, HFCS 55 which are popularly used in soft drinks include 55 percent fructose and 42 percent glucose. It can either come as an original color, which is a tint of yellow or it can come as a dark blend.
- HFCS 42 are used in beverages, processed foods, cereals, and baked goods, consist of 42 percent fructose and 53 percent glucose. HFCS 90 contains 90 percent fructose and 10 percent glucose and are used in small quantities for specialty applications or blended with HFCS 42.
- The sweetness of corn syrup such as HFCS 55 is comparable to sucrose or table sugar. It is also easier to blend and transport considering that corn syrup is in a liquid form.
What are the extra costs?
- There may be additional charges for handling, shipping, or delivery of corn syrup especially when you purchase them online or from other states or regions. Try to ask the store or seller regarding this beforehand.
- Additional costs may also be necessary when you use corn syrup in making dishes, beverages, or desserts.
Tips to know
- Shop around for prices of corn syrup at your local grocery store, market, or drug store. You can also do some research on price estimates online. This will allow you to compare prices and quality and eventually grab the best deal.
- Read up on recipes using corn syrup so that you will be able to prepare a variety of beverages and dishes or desserts using this.
How can I save money?
- Keep you eyes peeled for promotions or sales at your local grocery store. It also doesn’t hurt to keep your eyes peeled for coupons for most major brands.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.