How Much Does Foie Gras Cost?
According to the French definition of foie gras, it is made of the liver of a goose or a duck that has been fattened by force feeding corn – this is what gives the liver its smooth, buttery texture and taste. Foie gras could be made from two whole liver lobes or cuts of liver reassembled together.
How much does it cost?
- On average, plan on spending anywhere from $38 to as much as $65 per pound for foie gras.
- CNN Money shares that Foie gras is one of the most expensive foods all over the world. According to Sonoma Artisan Foie Gras, you can purchase their fresh foie gras for around $50 a pound.
- 800Caviar.com also sells duck foie gras both from France and Canada. A duck foie gras in a mason jar costs $54.90. If you want even more taste, something such as the Rougie duck foie gras with port wine and truffles retails for $110.
- Black Star Gourmet, another online gourmet retailer also sells fresh foie gras. For a grade A fresh whole duck liver foie gras, you you will have to pay $155.50. On the other hand, a frozen whole raw duck foie gras could be bought at $97.
- Mirepoix USA has fresh, raw Foie Gras for $95 per pound on Amazon.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the company, some will require that you purchase an entire lobe rather than just a portion.
- Foie gras can come in many different forms. These forms include a whole liver, a mousse, a parfait, or pate. The form that you choose depends on how much you want to spend as well as how you are going to prepare and use it.
- Higher-grade cuts are going to be corn fed and noted as the best quality available, which is grade A.
- Several gourmet shops include the shipping cost for the foie gras. It also includes the packaging so that the foie gras does not get spoiled while it is being delivered. Most orders will be shipped within 24 to 48 hours.
What are the extra costs?
- Foie gras is ideally paired with a French winter black truffle. This complements the velvet-like taste of foie gras. You could get the aromatic French winter black truffle for $11 or more, for example. Of course, there are many additional ingredients that you can cook with it. Do not forget to factor in these costs.
- Since most are delivered either fresh or frozen, it has to be in your refrigerator within 24 hours. Some companies may include the shipping costs while others may charge.
Factors that influence the price:
- Preparation. The price of foie gras may vary depending on how it is prepared. It could be sold fresh, frozen or made into a pate de foie gras, etc.
- Location. Foie gras is shipped from various locations. However, some gourmet shops charge more to customers residing in Hawaii and the like. If you purchase the foie gras straight from France, you will most likely pay a lot more.
- Method of raising ducks and geese. Producers who raise and slaughter ducks and geese use expensive methods, especially in the US. These standards of raising animals have been made higher, especially after the issues raised by PETA.
Tips to know:
- Refrigerate the Rougie foie gras with port wine and truffles before opening the can.
- To enjoy fully the texture of foie gras, do not spread on bread.
- Pair foie gras with a glass of great wine.
- Foie gras preserved in a tin can has a longer shelf life and must be kept in a cool area.
How can I save money?
- If you want foie gras served on the next holiday and want to save on money, you could choose to buy fresh foie gras and make your own homemade pate de foie gras. There are several recipes available online.
- To get your money’s worth of foie gras, visit various artisan shops in your local area. They are most likely selling foie gras, especially during the holidays. Shop around so you know which artisan sells the cheapest foie gras.
- Duck foie gras is a cheaper option compared to goose foie gras.
- If you are already spending so much on a cut of meat, you might as well not worry about saving money and get the best quality you can.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.