How Much Does Fondant Cost?
Fondant isa type of edible icing used to decorate cakes. Unlike most icing, it isn’t spread onto a cake with a knife out of a jar. Instead, it is usually poured on as a thick liquid.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of the fondant is based on the brand that you buy and whether it was made from scratch or brought from the store. A typical 24-ounce or a 1 ½ pound of fondant could can cost around $6 to $10
- Online retailers may offer significant price discounts for their products, but at times, there are shipping charges that may come with the purchase.
- For instance, a container of Fondarific Buttercream retails for $12 to $16 for a 2-pound container on Amazon.
- In the end, depending on the size, most purchases are going to be within the $7 to $22 price range.
What is going to be included?
- The most basic cost of the fondant package will get you this fondant icing that you can carve and design according to your own patterns. Fondant icing is just the basics that you get from the typical one to two pound package. Of course, the colors and the patterns that you choose will also be part of the product that was purchased.
- Rolled fondant icing is often use to decorate wedding cakes. It comes in a roll that is much like a pie crust in consistency but is made with gelatin and glycerin to give it that dough-like texture. It can also be made at home using powdered sugar and marshmallows. You can use rolled fondant to completely cover your cake, or you can cut out different shaped and designs to put on your baked goods.
- Poured fondant is usually used as a filling for cakes or cupcakes. For example, the filling in a Cadbury cream egg is fondant. This filling can be colored or flavored to your liking or to compliment whatever you are making.
What are the extra costs?
- Buying the fondant is just the first cost, but there are added expenses that you need to consider such as the tools and materials to be used in cutting the patterns.
- Rolling pins, cutters, paintbrushes, and cooling racks are just some of the basic tools that you need to buy.
- Additional color may be required to come up with the design, and this means that you either need to buy different sets of fondant or buy coloring varnishes that will be added to the fondant.
- Other ingredients to the cake decoration process should also be considered.
- Fondants that are made from scratch will require payment for labor, and this could be an added expense that you have to think about.
Tips to know:
- Consider the setting in which you will be using the fondant icing. The hotter the temperatures to which it will be exposed might mean all your effort will go to waste.
- Weather and climate are elements that must be considered for the fondant icing.
- It is never wise to refrigerate the icing as this can result in sweating, which affects the taste and flavor of the cake.
- Buy fondant icing with just a single color and move to develop the new shades with the use of other coloring.
How do I save money?
- Buying online is usually a good way to save some money on the fondant icing. There are plenty of bargains that can be found online. It is also wise to look into the possibility of creating the fondant on your own from scratch. If you do not know how, then you can try to do a little research.
- If you really want to save money on the fondants, you have to consider the brand that has the highest quality as this means that you can to create designs without tearing the fondant. Even though this may cost more up front, it will result in less waste because of making mistakes.
- Be sure to check for name brand fondant. Some have coupons or specials available that can be found online with a simple search.
- Making your own fondant will be the cheapest option, but until you have a lot of practice to perfect the process, it may not work very well.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.