How Much Does Gonal F Cost?
Gonal-f®, the generic name of follitropin alfa, is a form of human follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) prescribed for women to replace or help in stimulating production and release of eggs. It is the only FSH distributed in three ready-to-use presentations: Gonal-f® multi-dose vial, Gonal-f® RFF 75 IU vial, and the multi dose pen, Gonal-f® RFF Pen. Each of these forms is meant to be injected into the patient. If you have been wanting a baby but are unable to get pregnant, you may start looking into fertility treatments. Gonal F is commonly prescribed as part of fertility treatments with In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and other advanced reproductive technology (ART) procedures.
How much does it cost?
- Merck Serono holds the patent trademark for Gonal F; this means that it is not available in a generic equivalent. This means that you will pay full price regardless.
- According to Growingfamilybenefits.com, Gonal F ranges from $100 to $400 per vial on the average depending on dosage. A dosage can range anywhere from 75IU to as high as 1050IU.
- For instance, the 1050IU Gonal-F 1 kit retails for $1,750 at Walmart and Sams Club with a coupon, and $1,775 at other pharmacies like Target, Kroger, Publix and Kmart.
- Health insurance may cover parts of this medication, but this is rare. Most insurance companies will deny claims regarding fertility since it is an elective procedure. To find a health insurance policy that may cover it, consider browsing through hundreds of policies on websites such as eHealthInsurance.com.
RFF Pen 300 IU
RFF Pen 450 IU
RFF Pen 900 IU
RFF 75 IU Vial
Multi-Dose 450 IU Vial
Multi-Dose 1050 IU
What is going to be included?
- Gonal-f® is available in three presentations, all ready-to-use through injection: Gonal-f® multi-dose vial, Gonal-f® RFF 75 IU vial, and in multi dose pen, Gonal-f® RFF Pen.
- The result of the use of Gonal F is that the ovaries will produce more eggs than normal. However, this does not guarantee pregnancy. Gonal F is usually used in conjunction with other fertility treatments to increase the chances of pregnancy.
What are the extra costs?
- Fertility treatments involve taking multiple fertility drugs at the same time, so the cost of Gonal F will not be your only concern.
- Insurance companies usually do not cover the whole cost of fertility treatments, if they accept any at all under their coverage.
- As with any fertility treatment, it may not work the first time. These drugs and treatments may need to be repeated multiple times before you become pregnant. There is no guarantee that it is going to work at all.
Factors that influence the price:
- The main factor that will determine the price of Gonal F is the dosage that you need to take as well as the number of treatments that you need.
- The doctor or pharmacy from which you purchase Gonal F is going to determine the final selling price of the drug.
Tips to know:
- Be cautious of those selling Gonal-f online, because most are from couples who have left over medications.
- Purchase of this medication requires doctor’s prescription.
- Insurance coverage for fertility treatments may not be universal, but some companies offer coverage for the various stages of infertility treatment. Check your policy to find out the extent of your coverage.
- Gonal F costs by may be reduced by 1/3 using the Tax Code under tax deductible infertility expenses either indicated in your 1040 or c/o the flexible spending category of your employer.
- There are some side effects that may occur with the use of Gonal F. The most common is OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome) which is the build up of excess fluids in the stomach and/or chest. Other common side effects can include cysts, multiple birth, nausea and vomiting.
How can I save money?
- Some online pharmacies offer free discount cards.
- Learn about alternatives regarding how to get a 3rd party to shoulder some of your costs.
- Manufacturers of Gonal-f offer coupon arrangements for self-pay patients with discounts ranging from 10 – 15%.
- The pharmaceutical company, through its Compassionate Care patient assistance program, also offers Gonal-f® RFF Pen (follitropin alfa injection) free of charge to patients who have no insurance coverage for fertility medication, are already having fertility treatment under fertility medical specialists and US citizens, or permanent residents. To be qualified, patients must also fall under a standard annual household gross income level and have not been a recipient of this program in any way in the past.
- One advocacy group, Make Me Fertile, sells genuine infertility medications such as Gonal F at 30 to 40 % less than standard pharmacy prices in the US and Europe.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.