How Much Does Jiro Sushi Cost?
Sukiyabashi Jiro is a 3-star restaurant located in the heart of Tokyo. Considered to serve the best sushi in the world, the owner, who is over 85 years old, has people reserving spots in his restaurants months ahead of time. If you are thinking about attending this well-renowned restaurant, there is probably a good chance that you are wondering what a plate is going to cost.
How much does it cost?
- Just like any other sushi restaurant, the cost of Jiro sushi will vary depending on the type of sushi you order. On average, be prepared to pay anywhere from as little as $300 to $400 per person.
- According to Newyorker.com, a meal at Jiro Ono’s Sushi Counter in Tokyo, Japan costs around 30,000 Japanese yen or $370.
- On the other hand, according to CNN Travel, Jiro sushi costs around US $375.
What is going to be included?
- The average course is going to include close to 21 courses and will take around 20 to 30 minutes to eat. The restaurant only has 10 seats.
- According to the website of Sukiyabashi Jiro, “Sushi is a very simple, unique Japanese culture. But it is no use trying to skimp – only a genuine professional sushi chef can reach your heart. You will appreciate the excellence of the professional sushi chefs at Sukiyabashi Jiro. Enjoy fresh seafood of the season direct from Tsukiji to your table at Sukiyabashi Jiro.”
- It Sukiyabashi Jiro, there is no menu. The menu is solely based on the chef’s choice and no requests can be made. Whatever is fresh from the market that day is what you are going to be given to eat.
- Jiro Ono, the proprietor of the world’s most celebrated sushi restaurant, Tokyo’s Sukiyabashi Jiro, is heralded as a Japanese national treasure. He is the first sushi chef in the world to receive three Michelin star.
- One of the hardest reservations to get in the world is a seat at Jiro Ono’s sushi counter which is located in Tokyo, Japan, specifically in the basement of a business building in Tokyo.
- A meal of Jiro sushi basically includes twenty pieces of sushi served one at a time which lasts about 15 to 20 minutes. There are only ten seats and there is a set menu. There are no appetizers or modifications.
- Sukiyabashi Jiro, a Michelin three-star restaurant, only serves sushi. Reservations usually take a month or even more in this restaurant.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be incurred for transportation to and from the Sukiyabashi Jiro restaurant. This is especially true if you are travelling to the area specifically for this sushi experience.
- Additional costs may also be incurred for larger orders. You may also be served beverages that will cost money.
- As in any restaurant, tips are expected for the waiters and waitresses.
Tips to know
- To avoid problems with getting a seat at the restaurant, you should set a reservation at least a month before.
- Learn more about how to prepare authentic Japanese sushi so that you can prepare one for your family too. You can check out various sushi recipes online or ask tips from friends who are into Japanese food.
- After the meal is done at the sushi bar, you will be asked to leave the bar and sit in a booth, where your melon will be served. Some patrons on the web say that the only downfall to the restaurant is the “rush” feel that they get once they finish. However, in order to accommodate a large number of people who want to experience the sushi, this is a necessity.
- Be on time because the restaurant does not allow you to be late. Other rules include no perfume, no cancellations, cash must be paid and you cannot stay for more than a half hour.
- To read about the experience, Inquirer.net has a nice write-up of their experience.
- If you or someone in your group is allergic to any type of seafood, it is not a good idea to go to Sukiyabashi Jiro. They do not do custom orders for this type of thing.
How can I save money?
- You can save money by preparing your own sushi at home inspired by Jiro’s sushi. This way, you can enjoy your favorite Japanese dish anytime for much cheaper.
- While nothing compares to their sushi, consider other restaurants in the area if you cannot snag a reservation. Use websites such as UrbanSpoon.com to find highly rated restaurants in the area.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.