How Much Does Kosher Salt Cost?
Kosher salt is coarse-grinding salt made from salt crystals. This salt usually won’t be iodized, but some brands may add an anti-caking agent. Morton and Diamond Crystal are the top two brands that make kosher salt.
How much does it cost?
- According to the website SheKnows.com, the cost of one pound of kosher salt will be around $7.
- Compared to sea salt, kosher salt is noted on Diffen.com that the former is more expensive because of the procedures it has to go through to create a finer texture. The process that the kosher salt goes through is often certified by the Orthodox Union, which is one of the most prestigious organizations that certifies kosher food products as well as the ingredients that create it.
- On average, for a 48-ounce box, plan on spending anywhere from $3 to as much as $5. Larger purchases, such as the Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt retails for $10 to $15 for a three pound box.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy kosher salt, you will be getting a coarser type of salt. This is a type of salt that comes with the least amount of additives in its creation and comes in its rawest most natural form. In fact, kosher salt comes with the large crystals that have a very large surface. This means that kosher salt is able to absorb as much moisture as it possibly can, especially compared to other types of salt.
- Buying this type of salt will mean that you get to have an ingredient that will be best for curing meat products. The reason for this is that it helps in drawing out the blood or fluids from the meat. In fact, if you happen to be Jewish, the use of kosher salt will help convert meat into kosher meat that you can eat.
- Kosher salt dissolves very quickly, meaning that once it is added to the food its flavor will fade quickly.
What are the extra costs?
- Buying kosher salt will mean that you will end up with a purer form of flavor. If there is an extra cost that you will need to consider, it would be the processing through which the ingredient must go.
- Bottle containers for the kosher salt are to be necessary as these are usually more prone to being exposed to moisture. Keeping kosher salt in a air tight container will keep it fresh for longer.
Tips to know:
- It is best to check out the kosher salts’ certification before you go out and buy one. If you are someone who looks deeply into the different kosher products, it will be important to have the right credentials that verify the authenticity of the salt as being kosher.
- Buy from reliable and trusted brands as this means that their processes are pure.
- Kosher salt is one of the many types of salt available, but it is the most natural and rawest form of salt you will find. Other types of salt include sea salt, which is used to enhance the flavor of foods that have already been cooked, and rock salt, which is the type used to deice freezers or the roads.
- Many types of salt contain chemicals that act as anti-caking agents. While this ensures that the salt will not clump, it can also leave a slight chemical aftertaste.
How can I save money?
- The best way to save on the expenses of the kosher salt is to make sure that you buy in bulk. It is noted that when you do use the kosher salt, you would mostly use twice as much for you to get the major flavors. For example, a teaspoon of sea salt in a dish would usually mean two teaspoons for the kosher salt. Hence, if you do buy the salt in bulk packages, you would be given higher discounts.
- With some brands, you may be able to find coupons. Be sure to search and check social media outlets to see what you can find.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.