How Much Does Pie Crust Cost?
Pie crust is an essential part of making any pie. This is the outer hard shell that is usually made up of shortening, water, flour and salt. It may also include milk and sugar. Depending on the type of pastry being prepared, the pie crust may be baked before it’s filled or even baked together with the filling. With pie baking, there are two types of crusts available on the market: one-crust and two-crust. A two-crust pie will have a complete upper crust, a lattice top or a variety of other decorative tops.
How much is it?
- Pie crusts can be made fresh at home or you can purchase it already made at supermarkets. If the pie crust will be purchased prepared, the price will depend on the brand and where it’s purchased from. On average, a single pie crust that is already made can cost anywhere from $1 to $5 per piece. A pie crust mix can often retail for $2 to $5 per box. Most boxes will come with 20 ounces of the mix.
- For example, Arrowhead Mills graham pie crust retails for $11 to $21 for a set of six. The Krusteaz pie crust mix retails for $36 to $45 for 12 eight ounce boxes.
- Gluten Free Palace is online retailer that sells gluten free products. The website sells five, six ounces pieces of pie crust priced at $28 to $30. They usually ship the product within 24 to 48 hours.
What is going to be included?
- You can choose from a variety of pie crust mix that you can buy from grocery stores as well as online stores. There are pie crust mixes that you can use to make flaky and gluten free crusts.
- Some stores offer pie crusts that have been prepared already and are sold in baking dish. These pie crusts are ready to be filled with your favorite filling and can be put in the oven as is.
What are the extra costs?
- When purchasing a pie crust mix, you will still have to put additional ingredients into it on top of the filling. Ingredients such as shortening, butter, and baking soda will need to be purchased separately.
- Once you have made your pie crust dough, you will need to mold it. To make a perfectly molded pie crust, you can buy a pie crust maker and shield. This can be purchased for $1 to $5.
Tips to know:
- Baking requires time and precision. If you have a recipe for the pie crust, make sure that you follow it precisely. The measurements should be accurate and the temperature of the oven should be just right.
How can I save money?
- Making your own pie crust does not require an extensive knowledge of baking. Even the average person is capable of making her own delicious crust. Making your own crust is one of the best ways to save money since the ingredients used to make it can usually be found in your kitchen. You will be able to make a lot of pie crusts at a fraction of the cost of buying an already made pie crust.
- Many name brands have coupons readily available. Check the local Sunday paper or even consider looking online through social channels such as Facebook and/or Twitter.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.