How Much Does Pita Bread Cost?
Pita bread is a soft flatbread baked from wheat flour. This bread originated in 2500 BC and is used in many Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines.
How much is it?
- Traditional pita breads are still made in Middle Eastern countries; however, you do not need to go to that part of the world to buy it. Pita bread is available in grocery stores and even online stores. The price of pita bread depends on the number of pieces that are in the package and the company producing it. On average, pita bread can vary anywhere from $3 to $6 per 10 piece bag.
- For example, a 10 pack bag sold by Parthenonfoods.com can retail for $3.99.
- FoodServiceDirect.com is an online retailer that sells wholesale products such as pita bread. A pack of pita bread that can have as much as 120 pieces can be sold for $42 to $52.
What is going to be included?
- There are baked and packed pita breads that you can purchase from the grocery store. These are sealed tightly in plastic bags to maintain freshness. If you do not want to buy pre-baked pita bread, there are mixes that will allow you to bake your own pita bread at home.
- There are several varieties of pita bread available and you should consider the country of origin described on the packaging to suit your taste. Since pita bread originated from several countries, you will find a lot of different types of pita bread on the market.
- Pita bread can also come in different forms and shapes, such as pita bread specifically designed to make sandwiches or smaller pieces of bread designed to be dipped.
What are the extra costs?
- The good thing about buying pita bread is that you do not necessarily need to purchase anything else as it is good to eat out of the bag. Although, if you desire to have a tastier and more fulfilling meal, you can add several fillings to the pita bread or even add a delicious dip.
- If you bake your own pita bread, purchasing the other ingredients will be an added cost. This is very minimal cost since you do not need to purchase a lot for the sole reason that the pita bread mix will be the main ingredient.
- If you want to eat organic, plan on spending about $1-$2 more per bag.
Tips to know:
- Pita bread is good for Mediterranean dishes. It is mainly used to scoop up sauces or dips such as hummus. Other dishes with which they go perfectly are kebabs, gyros, felafel, and traditional sandwiches of the west.
How can I save money?
- Pita bread is an inexpensive type of bread that can be purchased from most grocery stores. You can still find pita bread that is sold at a lower price compared to other stores so you may want to shop around. The company that produces the bread may also offer it at different prices which gives you more options.
- If you want to go traditional, open up a cookbook and make your own pita bread. Compared to buying baked pita bread, making your own will yield more pita bread at the same cost of buying from the grocery.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.