How Much Does Popcorn Cost?
Popcorn is one of the best foods that is prepared for a snack. It is also considered to be the perfect match for watching movies, whether it is at the movie theater or at home. There are a few different ways you can purchase popcorn. The first way is simply by purchasing cooked popcorn on the shelf at your local grocery store, which will come in a bag similar to potato chips. Secondly, you can have popcorn that can popped by placing the bag in the microwave. Lastly, you could buy the ingredients and the appliances necessary to make and pop your own fresh popcorn.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a box of microwaveable popcorn at your local grocery store is going to cost $2 to $5 per box. Common boxes will come with three to five packets that can be cooked directly in the microwave.
- Bulk purchases of uncooked popcorn can cost anywhere from $10 to $45.
- At the theater, plan on spending anywhere from $4 to as much as $9 per bucket of popcorn. The cost will come down to the size and geographical location of the theater.
- There are healthier choices when buying popcorn. There are brands that are simply air popped popcorn with nothing but salt or sea salt. This healthier variety will usually be slightly more expensive than traditional popcorn.
- For example, on Amazon.com, the cost of uncooked popcorn ranges anywhere from$11 to $40. The price varies according to the brand, the amount that is included, and the flavorings added. Most of the popcorn listed on Amazon comes in three to five pound containers.
What is going to be included?
- Popcorn can come in many different flavors. While the most common is buttered, other specialty flavors can include caramel, cheese, kettle cooked, etc.
- Boxes found at the grocery store will usually come with three to ten packets that are cooked in the microwave for no more than two minutes at a time. These can include salt and butter flavoring of different amounts, can be plain, or can be flavored.
- Buying popcorn at the movie theater usually includes butter, flavorings, and free refills. This will depend on the theater.
What are the extra costs?
- When preparing homemade popcorn, ingredients like oil, salt and your flavorings are your extra cost to consider.
- When buying ready to eat popcorn on the store shelf, specialty flavors like cheese, caramel, butter and others will cost more.
- While optional, some opt to purchase special popcorn bags or buckets to hold their popcorn while eating it.
- If you want to cook your popcorn at home, there are many gadgets that you can potentially purchase. For instance, a hot air popper can cost $8 to $20.
Factors that influence the price:
- Brand of Popcorn. Brand of popcorn matters either when buying it ready to eat or cooked at home.
- Size. When buying popcorn which is ready to eat, you can choose either to buy small, medium, large or extra large bag. The larger the popcorn gets, the more you are to pay; however if you try to sum up its value regarding its volume and amount in grams, you will find out that you can save by buying larger packages of popcorn.
- Flavor. The flavor of popcorn varies from things such as cheese, white cheddar, garlic, sea salt, etc. Of course, flavored popcorn is going to be more expensive than the unflavored variety.
- Cost of corn kernels. When you cook your popcorn at home, your cost varies more probably depending on the cost of the kernels since it is the main thing included.
Tips to know:
- Popcorn can be cooked better by choosing to cook it in the pan than using a microwave oven. Most people believe that it tastes much better when freshly popped rather than bought in a bag or made in the microwave.
- Flavorings can sometimes be deceiving, and you might not be satisfied with what flavor you want once you apply it. Therefore make sure to know what flavor fits the popcorn. If you can, test a sample before going out and purchasing a large box or creating a huge batch.
- There are many fun things that can be made with popcorn. You can make snack bags for kids’ lunches, popcorn balls for a special occasion, or can even string popcorn to decorate a Christmas tree.
How can I save money?
- When watching a movie at the theater with your friends, consider buying a larger popcorn bucket and practice sharing. Many theaters offer free refills for those who purchase the largest size.
- Cooking popcorn at home is usually cheaper than purchasing it at the grocery store.
- Before you head to the grocery store, look for coupons since many name brands often have coupons online and in the local paper.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.