How Much Does Pumpkin Pie Cost?
A pumpkin pie mainly consists of a pumpkin-based custard that varies in color from brown to orange. It is always baked in a single shell and is commonly flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
How much is it?
- During the peak season, the price of a pumpkin pie at your local grocery store will be $4 to $10.
- However, if you are going to make your own pie, the average amount for all of the ingredients should be around $6 to $9,
- For example, Likemerchantships.org claims that you will probably spend about $2.50 on ingredients.
- theobservantmarketer.blogspot.com did a taste test comparing a $4.99 Trader Joes pumpkin pie to the CSA $12.99 pumpkin pie. They claimed that the higher priced pie, indeed, was well worth the additional price.
What is going to be included?
- The average pie will be eight to 14 inches in diameter. Most pies are cut into 8 pieces, meaning that they can serve 8 people.
- During the holiday season, pumpkin pies can be found at just about any grocery store, including Meijer, Whole Foods, etc.
- Some of the ingredients in a pumpkin pie include vinegar, water, butter, salt and flour. Other ingredients, depending on the recipe, can include eggs, evaporated milk and sugar.
- According to most experts, pumpkin pie is the best option of all the desserts that are offered at a holiday meal. Pumpkins are not only high in fiber, they’re loaded with antioxidants and lutein, which help keep your eyes healthy. Although there are still a lot of calories and fat in pumpkin pie, it is still a better dessert choice because of its benefits.
What are the extra costs?
- There are some extra costs incurred when making this pie. Some of these costs include eggs, a can of pumpkin filling, evaporated milk, sugar, spices and the pie crust. On average, the supplies can cost $3 to $8, depending on the brand you purchase.
- Premium pumpkin pies with a chocolate crust may cost 20% more. Other premium flavors can include pumpkin cheesecake, pancake and even candy.
- Pumpkin pie is traditionally served with whipped cream or whipped topping. This should not cost more than $3.
- If you are throwing a holiday party, you may want to consider getting some nice plates on which the pumpkin pie can be served.
Tips to know:
- When making your own crust, wrap the crust or dough. Place it in a freezer for about 10 minutes. Place it into the fridge while preparing other ingredients.
- If you want to make your own pumpkin pie by hand, consider buying the pumpkins after Halloween. This is a great way to save up to 50%. Remember to look for the pie pumpkin, not the one you carve.
- The largest pumpkin pie was made in 2010 in New Bremen, Ohio. It weighed more than 3,700 pounds and was 20 feet in diameter. The pie used more than 1,200 pounds of pumpkin, 100 gallons of evaporated milk, 2,700 eggs and 7 pounds of salt.
How can I save money?
- Making your own pie is often going to be cheaper and better for you. The internet is filled with hundreds of pumpkin pie recipes. Although it may be more expensive at the beginning to purchase all of the ingredients, you will be able to make many pies and use these ingredients for other things in the kitchen.
- If you plan on spending money at the local grocery store for a pie, studies have shown that you usually get what you pay for. Most people recommend that you find a local bakery when searching for a pie that tastes similar to one that can be made at home.
- During the holiday season, look for coupons or special promotions. Some grocery stores may throw in a pie for free if a Thanksgiving dinner is purchased.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.