How Much Does Snorkeling Cost?
Unlike scuba diving, which requires full scuba gear, oxygen masks and tanks, and extensive training, snorkeling, can provide a lot of the same scenery without all the hassle. While snorkeling, you simply wear a mask and a snorkel, which is a mouthpiece with a tube attached. This tube extends above the surface so that you can breathe naturally.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of snorkeling can vary from one beach resort to another. The average cost, though, is around $15 to $60 per person, per hour. This price already comprises the rent for the necessary equipment for snorkeling as well as paddle kayaks and canoes if necessary. The said price range is good for one hour for one person only.
- Los Cabos, Mexico, is one of the most active tourist destinations for scuba diving and snorkeling. According to LosCabosGuide.com, a two-hour snorkeling tour with guide, arch and sea lion colony tour, boat and equipment cost around $40 US per person. You can also opt to just rent a gear and head out completely on your own. This will just cost you $15 US per day.
- The same price range was also supported by an article in the New York Times about Snorkeling in Cayman Islands. Snorkeling trips cost US$55; many places will only charge half-price for children.
What is going to be included?
- When you are in a beach resort and you plan to go snorkeling, the resort can give you information regarding all the snorkeling companies in the area. Your resort may even offer snorkeling tours. No matter which tour you choose, the fee you pay will include the guide taking you to a coral reef, allowing you to snorkel for up to an hour, and then transportation back from the reef.
- The snorkeling company will provide life jackets for each participant. However, most of these life jackets are self-inflated. If you do not feel you need one, you do not have to inflate it (but you still have to wear it.)
- If you do not need the help of guides, you can just rent equipment and go on your own. If you have your own snorkeling equipment, then you will not have to pay anything.
- If you are up to buying your own snorkeling equipment, just visit your local sporting goods store so you can actually try on snorkels to make sure that they fit.
What are the extra costs?
- Travel guides. If you prefer to go snorkeling with a guide, you need to pay for your guide’s rate per hours. The rate varies but it is usually around $10 to $15 per hour for every person.
- Snorkeling lessons. If you are just learning how to snorkel, some may suggest that you take snorkeling lessons before going on a snorkeling tour. According to an article on ServiceMagic.com about snorkeling, the average cost of snorkeling lessons can run anywhere between $20 and $100.
- Tips. Many guides expect and appreciate tips when the snorkeling tour is over.
Tips to know:
- Snorkeling is sometimes considered to be an additional feature for packages given by most beach resorts. For example, some resorts offer a fixed price for a scuba diving with lunch and snorkeling included.
- If you buy snorkeling equipment, it is advisable for you to go for the ones that come in sections rather than with one whole piece. This is favorable since you can replace broken or damaged parts when necessary rather than having to buy a whole new snorkel.
- As suggested by TropicalSnorkeling.com, one should not go snorkeling when the waves are too large.
- When renting equipment from a snorkeling company, sanitization may be a concern. If you are worried about the equipment not being cleaned thoroughly, you should bring your own equipment.
- Although snorkeling lessons are suggested by some, they are also thought to be unnecessary by others. As long as you are a decent swimmer, snorkeling should be no problem for you.
- It is wise to purchase an underwater camera to take with you while snorkeling. This will allow you to capture the beauty so you can remember it forever.
How can I save money?
- You can save money with snorkeling by bringing your own equipment with you to the beach. With that, you will not have to rent the necessary equipments.
- If you are going to a resort or even a cruise, you may find that they have certain excursions you can take advantage of. Most cruise ships and resorts will offer better deals if you go through them rather than through a third party.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.