How Much Does the GE VScan Cost?
According to geheathcare, “Vscan is a handheld, pocket-sized visualization tool powered by ultrasound technology that enables you to visually inspect the inside of [the] patient’s body during a physical exam.” It is probably the smallest ultrasound device in the world of medicine. Although it is relatively small, just the size of a smartphone, it can actually perform an examination with the full functionality of an ultrasound.
How much does it cost?
- On average, the price of the Vscan is going to range anywhere from $4,000 to as much as $10,000. The price of this device will depend on the retailer and model.
- The newest models, as of 2013, is the Vscan Unit Version 1.2, which currently retails for $7,900.
- Mobihealthnews.com stated in 2009 that a Vscan can cost around $10,000.
What is going to be included?
- The entire Vscan device will come with a scanner and probe, a docking station, AC adapter, memory card, battery, USB cable, and a protection case.
- Also included in the cost is an online education package which can be obtained from the VScan web portal. The package will also include the Vscan gateway software.
- The software, the cables, and the memory card all work together to allow the doctor to transfer the information from the Vscan to a computer to better study the results. Seeing it on a larger screen may allow the doctor to see different things.
- The product and its parts are brand new which means it also comes with a warranty and a hundred percent satisfaction guarantee.
- The VScan is a pocket-sized ultrasound that allows doctors to receive a speedy diagnosis and visually inspect the patient’s body. The device is lightweight and can easily fit inside of a pocket.
What are the extra costs?
- Ultrasound gel will be needed during VScan examination. However, the gel will not be included in the cost of the Vscan package. Because the Vscan is a handheld, portable device, you will want smaller tubes of ultrasound gel so that you can carry it with you as well.
- While optional, additional accessories can be purchased such as an AC adapter, which can cost $120. Other accessories include extra batteries, chargers, a docking station, memory card, soft case and USB cable. Some of these things may already be included, so make sure you ask before you purchase any of these items.
- The shipping for the product may or may not be included in the total cost. If not, the customer will have to spend extra for handling and shipping. Because this is a delicate piece of technology, make sure you use a reputable shipping company.
Factors that influence the price
- Version. A with any technology, as the versions and features expand, the price will go up with as well.
- Accessories. The number of accessories you purchase will affect the overall cost of the Vscan.
Tips to know:
- It is important to know that the VScan is only sold to licensed medical practitioners and is not available for use in a household set up. Although this may be possible in the future, it is not available just yet.
- While the product has some appeal, many institutions are steering clear of it because of the lack of reimbursement for now. This too may improve over time, as the product is perfected and tested more thoroughly.
- The battery life is around one hour and can take around one hour to completely charge. Because of this, it is ideal that more than one battery is purchased.
How can I save money?
- The VScan is known to be really expensive, but there are several ways you can actually save on your Vcsan purchases. One way is to look for retailers who either sell the device refurbished or consider looking for older models.
- Like any technology, the older models are often going to be cheaper. This may not have the same advanced capabilities like the higher versions, but what is important is that it still gives you results and allows you to perform medical ultrasounds easily.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.