How Much Does Wii Repair Cost?
Just like other electronics, the Nintendo Wii, one of the nation’s most popular video game consoles, can have its problems. Depending on the problem, many owners question whether it is better to purchase a new unit or to have it repaired. The cost to repair a Nintendo Wii will vary depending upon the problem, if a warranty is involved and the company performing the job.
How much does wii repair cost?
- Depending on the damage, a local shop can charge anywhere from $20 to as much as $75 to resolve a problem.
- For example, replacing the CD drive inside of the console could cost around $60 to $75. A common problem that many players have is that the drive will fail or will not accept the game disc.
- On a popular forum thread on the website Gamespot.com, a user claimed that he would have paid $75 out to Nintendo if he did not have a warranty. His problem was due to a disc becoming jammed in a drive.
- CzarsGadgetRepair.com is an online repair shop that will help fix your Wii. If you need a laser, motor, or drive replacement for the white Wii, they can provide the fix for around $50. If the same problems arise for the black Wii, it will cost $60.
Professional Price Range
If games take longer to load, the game won’t insert anymore or read errors are noticed.
$75 to $150
If the game is having read errors, or it’s taking longer to load.
$40 to $75
Includes all screwdrivers and parts required to open up and work on the Wii
$5 to $15
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees may be an additional cost depending on the repair company. If the process has to be expedited, this can be considered an additional expense as well.
What is going to be included?
- The tech will take a close look at the Wii and try to discover the root of the problem. Some of the most common problems revolve around the disc drive. CDs can get jammed or it may no longer accept discs. Once the problem has been discovered, the tech will perform any necessary repairs in order to ensure that it works again. If the problem cannot be fixed, they will more than recommend that you scrap it for parts or purchase a new one.
Tips to know:
- If your Wii is beyond repair, consider selling it on eBay for parts. Many broken Wii systems can be sold for at least $20 to $50 depending upon the problem of the machine.
- Some basic problems can be resolved by doing a simple search online. Problems such as overheating can be solved by simply moving the unit around or even letting it stay put for 24 hours or so. If you come across any type of problem, try to search the problem first as there are many great tutorials and videos online that can help you with the problem.
How can I save money?
- Your Wii may still be under some sort of manufacturer’s warranty. If this is the case, you may be able to have it repaired at no charge. Check with Nintendo and provide them with your serial number and receipt information. On average, the warranty will last about one year.
- To help prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future, consider purchasing an extended warranty through websites such as SquareTrade.com. These warranties can extend to more than five years in order to protect your purchase in case of damages.
- If the repair is going to cost more than $75, you may be better off to purchase a new Wii. Today, a Nintendo Wii can cost less than $200. See: “How much does a Nintendo Wii cost?”
- Consider trying to fix the Wii yourself. If you’re willing to take the risk, you may find that it’s worth the investment. Many parts online can be bought for less than a few dollars. For instance, the laser lens for the Wii can be purchased for as little as $4.