How Much Does an Ice Cream Cake Cost?
Ice cream cakes are just that — a cake made from ice cream. Looking like a cake from the outside, the ice cream will be in the center once you break through its surface. These cakes can be found at many popular ice cream shops such as Baskin-Robbins, Ben and Jerry’s and Dairy Queen. They can also be purchased at your local grocery store in the ice cream section or at a local bakery that specializes in cakes.
How much does it cost?
- On average, an ice cream cake will probably come down to about $2 to $4 per person, or from $10 to as much as $100. The cost will depend on the size, the brand, if it’s customized and where it’s being purchased from.
- For example, Dairy Queen’s ice cream cakes can cost anywhere from $25 to $35 depending on the size. An eight-inch round cake that serves 10 can cost $25, while a 10″ x 14″ cake that serves up to 24 can cost $34. To get an exact quote for your ice cream cake, play around with the DQCakes.com custom cake calculator.
- Cowolina.com, which features Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, charges around $21 to $46 per cake.
What is going to be included?
- An ice cream cake can be purchased at your local grocery store, bakery or even popular franchises, such as Dairy Queen, Carvel, Baskin-Robbins and Ben and Jerry’s.
- Common sizes found in a store include 4, 6, 8, 8 x 12 and 12 x 18 inches.
- All cakes are going to be created differently. Unlike a traditional cake, the center will be filled with an ice cream. The flavor of this ice cream will be your decision, as will the type of cake (white, vanilla, chocolate, marble, etc.) and the type of frosting and its color.
- If you order your cake through a local grocery store or bakery, they should have pre-designed templates from which you can choose. These could include kids’ themes as well as special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, etc. If you pick a cake that has decorated borders but with no specific design, the bakery will at least offer to write a name or message on it for you.
What are the extra costs?
- The other costs to consider would be plates, napkins and forks – these are often forgotten about. You may also want to consider spoons since it is an ice cream cake after all.
- Also, do not forget that because it is an ice cream cake, it will need to be kept frozen until just before you serve it. This is not always an extra cost unless you need to keep the cake on ice if you do not have freezer access. For example, if you need the cake a graduation party that is being held at a local park, you will need to have a cooler full of ice in which you can keep the cake.
Tips to know:
- Using a hot cutting utensil will make the cake a lot easier to cut. If you try to let the cake “soften up” you will most likely end up with a pool of melted ice cream. Instead, dip the knife or another cake cutter into a bowl of hot water before each slice to make the process easier.
- Make sure you cut the cake carefully. If it was made to feed 20 people but you cut the pieces too large, you may run out of cake before everyone gets a piece.
How can I save money?
- Search for printable coupons online for any well-known ice cream cake parlor and be on the look-out for Groupon and other social media promotions (especially in the colder months). Many of your popular franchises, such as Dairy Queen, often hold promotions for their cakes.
- It is possible to make your own ice cream cake. There are many recipes and directions that can be found online.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.