How Much Does a Jackhammer Rental Cost?
The jackhammer is used to break up hard surfaces such as concrete, rock, or asphalt. This type of tool is often only required for special jobs, and since it could be expensive to purchase one, some people would rather rent one.
How much is it?
- The cost to rent a jackhammer will depend on the size of the jackhammer, brand, geographical location, store you’re renting it from and how long you need it for. A medium size jack hammer can cost about $80 to $300 for a day. A hydraulically powered jackhammer will cost more than a jackhammer that runs on compressed air. Smaller jackhammers that run on electricity can cost as little as $50 per day.
- According to JackHammerRental.net, a hydraulically powered jackhammer can cost $215 per 4 hours or up to $300 for the day.
- Aaarentalsredwoodcity.com, located in California, charges $60 per day for their 65-pound gas-powered jackhammer.
What is going to be included?
- The jackhammer rental will come with all of the components needed to run the machine. If it is electric, then the cords needed to run it will be included, if it is air-powered, the necessary hoses will come with it, etc.
- Jackhammers come with different tips depending on the job that you need to do. The popular varieties of tip include a flat tip, pointed tip, spade, scabbler and stake driver. A pointed tip is great for breaking things up; a flat tip is designed for detailed control; a spade is similar to a flat tip, but it is designed for asphalt and concrete; a scabble can provide a smoother surface; and a stake driver can drive stakes into concrete.
- Jackhammers are powered by compressed air or hydraulic power.
- There are daily, weekly and monthly rentals.
What are the extra costs?
- If you are using a jackhammer that runs on gas, you would need to pay for the gas used during the work. The jackhammer will probably be filled when you pick it up, and the rental company will expect you to return it full.
- Also, in case you do not return the equipment within the stipulated hours, the rental agency will charge an extra amount.
- Protective eye gear and ear protection is required. Protective clothing should be worn at all times, such as heavy work boots, long pants and a long-sleeved shirt.
- Some rental companies may require that you rent the bit separately. Standard bits will cost $10 to $30 per day.
- The operator will be held responsible for all damages. When you rent the jackhammer, a waiver will most likely need to be signed releasing the rental company from liability in case of an injury.
- If you need the jackhammer delivered to the work site and then picked up when finished, you will have to pay a delivery charge.
Tips to know:
- It is advisable to understand the operations of the equipment before taking it on rent. The jackhammer can be extremely dangerous to operate. If you are unsure of how to operate one, ask the rental company to show you how to use it.
- It is best to plan your routine ahead of time so that you can get the most of your time.
- You must take breaks while working with this power tool. Long usage may be painful.
- Keep a tab on the time. If you exceed the stipulated time, you may need to pay the amount you paid in the first place.
- Check the tips and overall condition before accepting the machine.
- Try to have someone available who has worked with a jackhammer before in case you are unsure how to run the machine.
How can I save money?
- The rental rates are often lower on weekends. If this is a smaller project, consider renting the tool during the slower periods.
- Get the right size of the jackhammer. A smaller sized jackhammer would need more time and result in an increase in cost. If you explain the job you are doing to the renter, they should be able to tell you the specific tool and tip that you will want to use.
- The equipment should be used as many times as possible to get the best return on your investment. This can be achieved by planning the routine before renting the item. Do all the prep work before the jackhammer is rented so that you can rent it for as few hours as possible.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.