How Much Does Junk Removal Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Junk removal is the process of disposing of items and trash that the normal garbage company will not take. There may be a time when you have so much junk piled up, the weekly trash service will not be able to pick it up.
Since you may not have the resources to properly get rid of this junk, you have may have no choice but to call a junk removal service. These services will come to your home, load up any type of junk and haul it to the dump for you.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of removing junk is going to greatly depend on your geographical location, the company taking away the junk, and the amount you have. The prices for junk removal are going to normally start at as low as $100 and go as high as $600 or more. Refer to the table below for an idea on the price estimate.
- For example, a 15 cubic yard truck that picks up a load that takes up 1/2 of the truck can cost $300 to $400, while a 20 cubic yard truck that takes a full load can cost upwards of $400 to $500.
- Most trucks are going to be able to handle 15 to 20 cubic yards. The costs will greatly depend on how much junk is going to take up the truck.
- Chuckitjunkremoval.com, for example, charges anywhere from $99 to as much as $529 for a full load. Surcharges include freon removal, electronics, computer equipment, tires and latex paint.
15 Cubic Yards
18 Cubic Yards
20 Cubic Yards
What is going to be included?
- Most companies only take non-hazardous materials, such as old furniture, large boxes, appliances, electronics, renovation waste, and yard waste.
- Usually, the service provider visits the site where the junk is located and provides a cost estimate free of charge. However, there are also junk removal companies that do not actually visit the project site, but only require the customer to send in a photograph of the items to be removed. Some companies even allow you to simply tell them over the phone.
- Aside from removing the junk, some companies sweep and vacuum the property after they leave.
What are the extra costs?
- Some service companies may pass on to you the charges for recycling, disposal, and tax.
- Companies may charge you extra when the job site where the debris and junk may be removed is non-accessible by vehicle and/or when the project site requires using the stairs in transporting a large volume of junk.
- Labor charges can be upwards of $30-$40 per hour. This is usually only charged if the junk removal takes the company more than 3o minutes.
- Expect to pay extra for a more complex job requirement.
- Certain items such as home appliances, tires, television, computer monitors, CPUs, and refrigerators cannot be disposed at a local garbage dump. Plan on spending an additional $10 to $30 per item at a minimum since they have to be disposed of in a different way.
Factors that influence the price:
- The cost of junk removal depends on the weight of the items and the volume or area it occupies.
- The cost also varies according to the complexity of the job required.
Tips to know:
- Most junk materials removed from your home are brought to the nearest solid waste facility where they are disposed of properly.
- Toxic materials, such as asbestos, paints, chemicals, solvents, sludge, and oil are not usually included in the junk removal services. Instead, there are separate companies that dispose of these materials in an environmentally friendly manner.
- Materials that are found salvageable are brought to the appropriate charity centers or recycling sites.
- Rather than calling a junk removal service, you could consider renting a dumpster. This can allow you to gradually clear out your items.
- There are also products referred to as dumpster bags. These are much like oversized garbage bags that are much thicker and can hold up to 3000 pounds
How can I save money?
- If your location is close to a solid waste disposal facility, consider renting a truck and bringing your garbage there yourself to save money on a service.
- You may even want to segregate items that are deemed salvageable and take them to charity drop-off centers or recycling locations. This way, you can minimize your expenses on junk removal service. Many charities are more than happy to pick up salvageable items for free.
- Most companies are more than happy to provide a free estimate. This can either be done over the phone or in person. Be sure to take advantage of this and get as many quotes as possible.
- Before calling a junk removal service, try giving the items away or even put them on a site such as Ebay or Craig’s List. You could even try having a garage sale. This could actually make money rather than cost money.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.