How Much Does a Microwave Magnetron Replacement Cost?
The main component of the microwave that heats the food is known as the magnetron. When this part stops working, the microwave won’t heat all.
How much is it?
- For just the parts, a microwave magnetron will cost anywhere from $45 to $90. The cost of the part will greatly depend on the retailer and the make/model of the microwave. Since this is a one hour job, a professional appliance repair company will probably charge anywhere from $60 to $110 to come to your home and include one hour worth of services. Add in the fact that these companies mark up the parts, it could cost $120 to $275 to replace the part.
- For instance, Amazon.com has hundreds of microwave magnetron parts for sale. Here, the prices range from as little as $45 for an LG model to as much as $90 for a GE model.
What is going to be included?
- During the repair, the microwave will be removed from the wall and the outer shell will be removed so that the interior panels can be accessed. Depending on the model, some panels may have to be removed to access the magnetron part. The magnetron is usually located behind the control panel area. Once the part is exposed, it will be removed and the new part will be installed. Generally, this job is going to take about 40 to 75 minutes to perform.
Tips to know:
- If the microwave is younger than five years old, there may be an active warranty on it. If the warranty is active, the company may replace this part at no cost. If you don’t know if the microwave is under warranty and/or if the part is covered, talk with the official manufacturer to see if it is. If you don’t want to call and sit on hold, check the serial number and the date it was made at the factory. This information can either be found in the back of the owner’s manual or inside the front door of the microwave.
- Oftentimes, the magnetron isn’t the problem, it’s the diode. If this is the case, a diode part will only cost a few dollars and can be replaced relatively easy. Even if it’s the magnetron part, the diode will more than likely be replaced as well.
- There are two common ways to test a magnetron to see if it’s working. Before testing, however, always make sure the microwave is unplugged. The first test is to set the ohmmeter to the lowest resistance scale. Take a measurement between each of the magnetron’s terminals by touching each probe. Reverse the probes and take a second measurement. Each measure should read less than one ohm. The second test is by touching one of the meter’s probes to the magnetron’s terminal. Touch the other probe to the metal housing and make sure you don’t touch the two probes together. This test should have a reading of infinity.
How can I save money?
- A new microwave can easily be purchased for less than $200, especially if it’s a microwave that sits on the counter. If the part and repair will cost more than $150, you may be better off purchasing a new microwave.