How Much Does an MSDN Subscription Cost?
The MSDN is a portion of Microsoft which is responsible for managing the firm’s relationship with developers and testers such as hardware developers and software developers.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the subscription purchased, the prices of an MSDN subscription can range anywhere from $699 to as much as $13,299. This won’t include the annual renewal fees that can range anywhere from $499 to as much as $4,249 a year.
- According to programmers.stackexchange.com, a MSDN subscription costs around $12,000 (Ultimate) for a year. Renewal costs are around $3,800 afterward.
- On the other hand, according to msdn.microsoft.com, MSDN subscription ranges from $699 to $13,299.
MSDN Operating System
Visual Studio Professional with MSDN
Visual Studio Test Professional with MSDN
Visual Studio Premium with MSDN
Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN
What is going to be included?
- These subscription licenses will provide maintenance for Visual Studio and can help development teams become more efficient with their work. It is a cost-effective way to gain priority access to Microsoft products. Simplifying the product line, these software tools allow developers to rapidly create software solutions.
- Every subscription will offer its own software for development and testing as well additional benefits such as tech support, developer accounts and special offers.
- You can check out msdn.microsoft.com or download a full list of products and their subscription levels.
- You can install and use the software as much or as little as you need for your developmental projects.
- The subscription gives you access to all versions of the software. This means that you can use an older version or the current version; when a new one is developed, you will have immediate access to that as well.
- An MSDN magazine subscription comes with the software subscription. This magazine can give you tips for using the software, the latest news in the industry, and other services.
- You will have access to professionals to answer questions that you may have when using the software.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be incurred for renewal of MSDN subscription in the succeeding years, particularly, a year after the original subscription.
- The renewal of subscription costs are as follows: $499 for the MSDN Operating System, $799 for the Visual Studio Professional with MSDN, $999 for Visual Studio Test Professional with MSDN, $2,569 for Visual Studio Premium with MSDN, and $4,249 for Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN.
- The purchase of the MSDN subscription may incur additional costs for applicable taxes.
Tips to know
- For more details or for inquiries on MSDN subscription and renewal, visit msdn.microsoft.com or call 1-800-759-5474 from Mondays to Fridays, 5:30AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time.
- Contact your Microsoft Partner or Local Reseller to buy or renew your MSDN Subscription.
- You can check out online sources or ask people around who have experienced getting their MSDN subscription. You can ask for their advice so that you will have an idea of how much money you need to spend and how you would be able to get the best (or cheapest) deal.
How can I save money?
- You can save time and money when you purchase more than one license. Microsoft Volume Licensing offers flexible licensing solutions for companies that need multiple licenses.
- You can save money by taking advantage of free resources on the official MSDN website. This includes programs for startups, faculty and students.
- BizSpark members may also receive access to Not-For-Resale software versions which are equivalent to those included in the Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN subscription. This may also mean additional savings.
- Watch out for tips on how you can take advantage of MSDN subscription for less or for free such as joining WebSpark, DreamSpark, and BizSpark.
- Do adequate research so that you know which level of subscription you should purchase. Know what you will be using it for and how much you will need it before you buy the subscription. Also, know ahead of time how many people will be needing access to it.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.