How Much Do Ovulation Kits Cost?
An ovulation kit is often used to predict the period when a woman is most fertile. Also known as an ovulation prediction kit (OPK), it is designed to detect a rise in the production of the luteinizing hormone (LH), a hormone takes place about 36 hours prior to ovulation. Compared with other methods of monitoring ovulation, an ovulation kit is more precise.
How much does it cost?
- On average, ovulation kits will contain around 7 to 100 test strips. Be prepared to pay anywhere from as little as $0.41 to $2 per strip.
- For example, the prices of ovulation test kits at the Washington-based Early-Pregnancy-Tests.com ranges from $0.55 to $1.95 each, depending on type and number of tests.
|Clearblue Easy Digital Ovulation Test||$12|
|First Response Ovulation Test, 7-Test Kit||$13|
|Wondfo 25 Ovulation (LH) Test Strips||$16|
|First Response Ovulation Test – 20 pack||$30|
|First Response Daily Ovulation Test – 20 pack||$35|
|Clearblue Digital Ovulation Test – 20 pack||$40|
What is going to be included?
- Using an ovulation kit is much like using a home pregnancy test. Upon urinating on the test stick or cassette, a chemical component is activated, which then determines if there is a surge in LH. Depending on the brand, an ovulation kit can have five to nine test sticks. One of this size kit can be suitable for use in one cycle.
- Ovulation predictor kits are designed to detect LH with a sensitivity of 25 miu/ml. There are different forms of ovulation prediction kits in the market.
- They come in different formats: strips, midstreams, and cassettes. Test strips can be 5 millimeters wide and sold secured separately in a foil pouch. To use, the tip of the strip is dipped into the urine sample. To use a midstream OPK, remove the cap, urinate directly onto the absorbent end of the device for several seconds, and then replace the cap. The results from both formats can be obtained after 5 minutes.
What are the extra costs?
- When buying online, shipping fees may be charged, depending on the supplier. Some providers ship ovulation predictor kits promptly due to the sensitivity of the products. At some test kit suppliers, shipping fees can cost about $3 to $30, depending on the type of shipment and the number of orders.
- While optional, some opt to purchase the pregnancy and ovulation kit at the same time.
- If you have been using ovulation kits for some time and are still not pregnant, you can choose to visit the doctor and see if there is anything else you can do.
Tips to know:
- An ovulation kit does not work when the woman is taking fertility drugs. The use of injectable fertility medications can render the ovulation prediction kit useless.
- Ovulation prediction kits can provide an accurate prediction of a surge in LH. But they are more effective when used along with other monitoring methods. These include recording your basal body temperature and checking your cervical mucus.
- Performing 20 tests rather than 5 or 9 tests offers a better possibility of testing on the correct day. Using 20 tests has been shown to cover 99% of LH surge days particularly cycling females.
- Choose an ovulation kit that provides an easy way to read the results, such as a kit that displays results in digital form. A traditional ovulation line test has resulted to numerous instances of misreading. Be sure to check out the reviews ahead of time online. This will ensure that you are getting a kit that will provide accurate results.
How can I save money?
- Buy in volume. Ovulation prediction kits bought in bulk cost lower than those bought individually or in fewer quantities.
- Find free shipping options. Many suppliers offer free shipping on certain orders. Some also require minimum orders for shipping fees to be waived.
- After using the ovulation kits for a few months, you should start to see a pattern. Track your days from you menstrual cycle through ovulation. If your body sticks to the same schedule, you may know when you are ovulating without even using a test.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.