How Much Does an Oyster Mushroom Cost?
The oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) is a widely recognized type of mushroom that is commonly used in culinary arts and in everyday cooking. One distinctive characteristic of this exotic variety is that its color turns into silver gray when there is ample light. The mushrooms are easy to cultivate and can be stored in the refrigerator after harvest.
They are normally low in maintenance and can be found in the wild during the fall, depending on where you live. These mushrooms usually grow on dead hardwood trees or logs and are easily recognized since they grow on top of each other and form a “shelf-like” appearance.
How much does it cost?
- By the pound, be prepared to spend anywhere from $7 to as much as $18 per pound. Smaller four to seven-ounce trays should be less than $5.
- The prices of oyster mushrooms at Amazon.com, for example, range from $7 to $18 for a one-pound bag of dried mushrooms. A five-pound bag of oyster mushrooms cost $70 to $90. Oyster mushrooms in cans cost about $50 per 24 cans, while oyster mushroom kits cost $17 to $28.
- At MushroomAdventures.com, which ships mushrooms from Central California, an oyster mushroom kit can be bought for $34, while an Elm oyster kit will cost $37. The kit dimensions are 12″ (L), 10″ (W), and 8″ (H).
What is going to be included?
- Fresh or dry oyster mushrooms are typically cultivated under hygienic conditions, processed following regulations, and are often pesticide-free. Oyster mushrooms can be bought fresh, dried, in bags, cans, or kits.
- An oyster mushroom kit typically includes everything needed to grow multiple mushrooms in a span of 6 to 12 weeks. The first crop can be expected in merely 3 to 4 weeks.
- The oyster mushroom was given that name because the cap resembles an oyster. However, it is also reported to taste like an oyster or other seafood. Because of this, many people choose to cook them with seafood or seasoning that is usually used on seafood.
- There are many recipes and tips for cooking oyster mushrooms that can be found online.
What are the extra costs?
- Should you opt for a double boxing option, you may be required to pay an extra amount. At some dealers, the double boxing option requires an additional fee of $3 per kit.
- At some dealers, if your online order does not reach the minimum order requirement, you will need to pay for shipping charges, which typically depend on the quantity of your order, location, and shipping option.
Tips to know:
- Growing oyster mushrooms from kits is recommended during cooler months since shipping the kits during summer may cause damage to the mushrooms during transit.
- Oyster mushrooms have been known to cause stomach issues in some people.
- When growing oyster mushrooms, use supplements. These are often applied to the oyster mushrooms being cultivated to help improve their flavor and to increase production. Among the popular supplements used are cottonseed meal, soy meal, and alfalfa meal.
- Dried oyster mushrooms can be used in soups, stews, pot pies as well as casseroles and other food preparations with adequate liquid content.
- You can buy fresh oyster mushrooms at farmers’ markets. In addition, you can also buy them at a more affordable price than in a supermarket or grocery. Plus, they are genuinely fresh.
How to handle these mushrooms
- Before you use the mushrooms, the first thing you should do is clean them. First, you should cut off the stems since they are tough and can have debris on them. You then need to inspect the underside of the cap to ensure that there are no insects that made their home up there.
- Most cooks simply tear oyster mushrooms into little pieces and throw them in the recipe. If you are cooking something that takes a long time to make, you should add the mushrooms in the last stage of cooking.
- If you wish to freeze your oyster mushrooms for later use, you should first briefly sauté them in butter. Mushrooms can also be dehydrated to be preserved. This works great since the dehydrated mushrooms will absorb whatever sauce it is cooked in.
How can I save money?
- Take advantage of free shipping usually offered for orders that go beyond a store’s minimum order requirement.
- If you need to purchase in large quantities, find a wholesale dealer and ask about wholesale pricing to obtain significant discounts.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.