How Much Does Pepper Spray Cost?
Pepper spray is a chemical agent designed to cause tears and pain and can sometimes lead to temporary blindness. Pepper spray is commonly used for crowd control, self defense measures and aggressive animals such as bears. Once the pepper spray is applied, it gives the user the opportunity to escape, or if the user is a security officer, for example, it gives them the chance to apprehend the culprit. The cost of pepper spray is going to depend on the brand, the quantity and where it’s purchased.
How much is it?
- On average, pepper spray can cost anywhere from $7 to as much as $50. Be sure to check with your local state laws before making a purchase. Some states have strict rules with pepper spray. PepperSpray.Lifetips.com outlines certain state laws.
- A powerful pepper spray to fend off larger animals such as bears can cost in the range of $30 to $55 due to the maximum strength involved. Generally, this type pepper spray will have the maximum strength allowed by the EPA. For example, the Frontiersman Bear Attack Deterrent retails for $34 to $50.
- Pepper spray intended for personal use can cost anywhere from $7 to $20. For example, a popular product such as the Saber Compact Pepper Spray with a quick release key ring retails for $7 to $15.
- A pen that carries the spray within it can cost $2 to $10. A pepper spray that is attached to a keychain for easy access can cost anywhere from $4 to $15.
What are the extra costs?
- Higher powered spray for animals according to EPA standards will be 30% more than pepper spray that is used for personal use.
- For those that do not want to carry it on a keychain or in their pocket can consider using a holster. A holster that carries the spray safely can cost anywhere from $2 to $15.
What is going to be included?
- Pepper spray will come in a tightly sealed canister that can only be emitted when pressed properly. Most will have safety buttons or latches to prevent accidental usage.
- Some brands may contain a holster or key chain in the package.
- Pepper spray doesn’t always disperse pepper. There are other methods that be dispersed such as a fog, foam and more.
Top brands to consider:
- Safety Technology
How can I save money?
- Compare prices online and be sure to know the local state laws. There are a lot of brands out there that offer pepper spray at a discounted price. Always try to buy new because it is hard to tell exactly how much spray is left over if purchased used.