How Much Do Shipping Containers Cost?
A shipping container looks and acts like the trailer of a semi truck. The containers are usually made of steel and are designed to withstand heavy shipment, storage and handling. The containers are designed in such a way that the contents can be moved without the need to unload and reload the items inside. Shipping companies rely on shipping containers to transport items on land and over the ocean.
How much does a shipping container cost?
- Shipping containers can be made of several materials, but the most common material used is steel. The price of the shipping container depends on the type of materials used to manufacture the container, and the size of the container also plays an important factor why its price can be different as well. On average, the shipping container cost can be anywhere from $500 used to as much as $6,000 new.
- New containers can range anywhere from $2,000 to $4,000 while the cost to rent one can be anywhere from $75 to $200 plus a surcharge for delivery and maintenance each month. If you are on a budget, used containers can cost $500 to $2,500.
- BuyerZone.com is an online store that provides industrial materials. The site also has shipping containers for sale and rent. These containers can either be used or brand new. The price of new containers ranges anywhere from $1,800 to $5,300, while used containers cost $500 to $2,900. If you decide to simply rent the shipping containers, you can expect to pay $75 to $120 for the container itself plus added cost such as delivery and pick up.
What is going to be included?
- You will have the option to choose a variety of shipping containers that are made of different materials. The manufacturer would also provide a warranty which will depend on the company.
- The company will also assist you in assessing the container and will provide you with the estimated price of the container.
What are the extra costs?
- You may have to factor in the shipping fees as additional cost as well.
- If there are any modifications that you need to do with the container, you will have to pay for it including delivery of the item. For example, if you would like to get your companies logo or some type of advertising on your container, this will be an added cost.
- It’s best to keep your shipping container painted at least every five years. This will help prevent problems such as rust.
Tips to know:
- Keeping your own shipping container may be pricey due to high maintenance cost. If you do not ship often, you can try renting the containers to others when you are not using them.
- Shipping containers can be used for different purposes other than shipping. There are offices and houses which are made from shipping containers that can be fitted with basic utilities.
How can I save money?
- Check your inventory and carefully calculate how much space you will need. If you buy a container that is too large, you will be wasting space and therefore wasting money.
- You may opt to buy used containers as long as you have them checked thoroughly and can guarantee that they are in good condition.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.