How Much Does Sleep Apnea Surgery Cost?
Sleep apnea is a disorder that is defined as an irregular breathing pattern that happens during sleep. When you are asleep, interruption happens in around 10 to 20 seconds of deep sleep. This means that during the entire night, you might be experiencing this up to a hundred times per night. This results in a very poor night’s sleep and can cause you to be tired throughout the day.
How much does it cost?
- Among the first procedures that are suggested by experts is the procedure known as Uvupalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP). This process can cost anywhere from $5,000 to as high as $10,000 without any sort of health insurance policy.
- Laser surgery done to treat sleep apnea could be around $1,000 to as high as $1,500. On the website Drpaulose.com, it is stated that this would depend on the procedures that will be performed.
- While some health insurance policies may cover it, not all will. Be sure to check with your insurance company to see what is covered. If you do not have a policy or you are looking for a new one, consider using websites such as eHealthInsurance.com.
What is going to be included?
- If you do decide to go with the quickest way of getting rid of sleep apnea, then the best choice would be the surgery. While there are arguments that this is a treatment that is unsure, the fact is that for many it can be worth their money if it becomes successful.
- The success rate of most sleep apnea procedures is no more than 30%.
- The UPPP works to remove these tissues in the throat area to make the airways bigger. Hence, when you are asleep, you get a better breathing space that reduces the severity of the disorder. Essentially, there might be the need to use the CPAP machine continuously even after the operation.
What are the extra costs?
- Surgery does not technically mean that you will be cured of the disease. However, it could certainly reduce the irregularity. Thus, you might still need to have the CPAP machine to work with the continuous efforts to eradicate the disorder from the body. SEE: “How much does a CPAP machine cost?“
- Therapy sessions may also be needed after the actual operation has been completed. This would include improving breathing patterns and such. Speech therapy may also be needed when you are unable to speak well after the operation.
- Depending on the clinic, fees such as the surgeon’s fee, anesthetist fee, hospital fees and medicine can be an additional cost. Additional days in the hospital can add up.
- Before the surgery is considered, a home sleep study may be required. SEE: “How much does a sleep study cost?“
Factors that influence the price:
- Location. Location is an element that will have to be thought of when it comes to the sleep apnea surgery. If you live in an area that comes with plenty of choices for the doctors to do the operation, then you will certainly get a cheaper price because of the competition.
- Procedure. The type of surgical procedure that you will be having is considered as another element that would affect pricing. The laser surgery is much cheaper than UPPP but may not have as high of a success rate.
- Insurance Coverage. The amount of coverage, if any, that your insurance offers you will affect the cost to you.
Tips to know:
- The best thing that you can do when considering the surgery is to ask your doctor about it. Will it actually remove the disorder and give you a better sleeping pattern? This procedure is not for everyone with a sleep apnea problem.
- Look for a professional surgeon that has already practiced or has already done the stated operation. As much as you can, work with the best in your local area to prevent untoward accidents.
How can I save money?
- The best way to save money on sleep apnea surgery is to avoid it. This is an operation that is quite expensive. Some people recommend the use of exercises and tools to aid in the treatment of the disorder. However, if surgery cannot be avoided, then the best thing that you can do is to ask your surgeon or doctor what is the best procedure for your condition. This way, you are assured that the process you will be getting is to your advantage.
- While it can be risky, countries overseas such as India can offer this type of surgery at a low cost. However, if you proceed with this route, always make sure that you do your homework before selecting a facility.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.