How Much Does Sour Cream Cost?
Sour cream is a dairy product obtained through fermentation regular cream with lactic acid bacteria. It can be either used as a condiment or as a base in some recipes.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of sour cream will depend on the brand, serving size, ingredients and where it’s purchased. On average, sour cream will cost anywhere from $0.75 to $5 per container.
- At Marcusdairy.com, sour cream costs between $0.76 to $16.50 depending on the type and serving size. A light sour cream costs $0.76 for a half pint and $3.16 for a quart. Heavy sour cream costs around $1.31 for a half pint, $2.62 for a pint and $5.17 for a quart. A half and half sour cream costs $1.50 for a pint and $2.49 for a quart.
What is going to be included?
- Sour cream can come in various types such as nonfat, light, regular, half and half, and heavy. There are also various sizes such as an eight ounce package to one quart or sour cream product. Various types and sizes of sour cream products (from boxes, bottles, to cans) are also available online.
- According to Food.com, commercial sour cream includes 18 to 20 percent fat. It has been treated with lactic acid culture which gives it a tangy flavor. Light sour cream comes with 40 percent less fat since it is made from half and half. On the other hand, non-fat sour cream is thickened with stabilizers.
- Some suppliers or sellers of sour cream may include shipping or delivery costs on the regular selling price.
- Typical sizes will include a half pint, pint and quart, and the sour cream usually comes in a tub much like butter or cottage cheese.
What are the extra costs?
- Purchasing sour cream may require extra charges for shipping or delivery costs. This is usually common for purchases made online. Check your supplier of sour cream regarding the rates for shipping of orders.
- Most of the time, sour cream is mixed with other ingredients in a recipe for dip or a dish. Therefore, you will need other ingredients depending on your specific recipe.
Tips to know:
- You can also opt to make your own sour cream recipe at home. There are various free recipes online which you can try.
- Be sure that you check the expiration date before using a product that is on sale. Also make sure that it is still in good condition before using it.
- Purchase non-fat sour cream in order to avoid increasing cholesterol levels.
- Sour cream must be refrigerated in order to stay fresh and keep from spoiling.
- The most natural sour cream with no additives or fillers will be heavy, the type that is the thickest. The lower the fat content, the more fillers the sour cream contains.
How can I save money?
- Watch out for promos and discounts on sour cream products. You will be able to save a lot of money when you purchase by bulk during sales or promos.
- Check out various websites selling sour cream products at a discounted rate.
- Many brands offer coupons that you can take advantage of. Use a coupon on top of a sale price and you can really save some money.
- Store brand sour cream is often 30% cheaper than name brands and tastes just as good.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.