How Much Does Spaghetti Sauce Cost?
Spaghetti sauce is a tomato based sauce that is usually combined with spices, meat, and noodles. The sauce can also contain items such as mushrooms, onions or even cheese. Unless you live in an Italian family, there is a good chance that you buy spaghetti sauce at the grocery store rather than making your own.
How much is it?
- A jar of pre-made spaghetti sauce from your local grocery store will cost anywhere between $2 to $12. All of the jars are about the same size unless you buy a larger size at a local wholesale club. The brand is everything in the world of sauces. The store brands and Ragu will be the spaghetti sauces that will cost closer to the $2 to $4 per jar range, while a brand, such as Barilla or Newman’s Own, can cost more than $6 per jar.
- For example, a pack of four 45-ounce bottles on Amazon retails for $11.
- AZCentral.com list the prices of a few sauces. The Del Monte brand retails for $1 for a 26-ounce can, while the Walmart brand retails for $1.22 for 26 ounces.
- If you were to make the sauce yourself, plan on budgeting upwards of $3 for the set of ingredients. While the spaghetti sauce in a jar may be cheaper and more convenient, homemade spaghetti sauce will almost always be tastier.
What is going to be included?
- Spaghetti sauce is primarily made from tomatoes and is served over noodles. Brands will often throw in a blend of spices, vegetables, and meats, offering each sauce its own unique taste. Common spices include basil, parsley, pepper and oregano.
- Popular brands include Barilla, Ragu, Simply Organic and Del Monte.
- Common sizes include 16 ounces, 45 ounces and 67 ounces.
- Types can include gluten-free, organic, low-fat, low-carb and low-sodium.
What are the extra costs?
- Do not forget the spaghetti noodles and the garlic bread. All of this will make the perfect family dinner night.
Tips to know:
- Store brand sauces are often going to be up to 30% cheaper.
- Name brand sauces always have coupons for their brands. Before heading to the grocery store, be sure to keep your eyes peeled for special deals.
- Make sure you know how many noodles you will need for the amount of sauce you are buying.
- If you want to add meat in your spaghetti sauce, you can try ground beef, sausage, or even ground pork, turkey, or chicken for a healthier option. Letting the sauce and the meat simmer for an hour or so can make the taste much better since the meat and sauce will be able to absorb into each other. This will also allow the sauce to thicken for a heartier meal.
- Spaghetti sauce can be used as a substitute for tomato sauce in any recipe.
- Some people like to use spaghetti sauce on pizza rather than pizza sauce.
- Spaghetti sauce can be combined with other spices and some meat to make a great taco meal.
How can I save money?
- You can always consider making your own pasta sauce. You can find recipes online or you can ask a friend or family member if they have any ideas. It really is not very difficult to do. It will be more costly than simply buying a jar of pasta sauce but it will be so much more hearty and delightful.
- If your family goes through quite a bit of pasta sauce, then you should consider buying in bulk at a warehouse store.
- The best way to save money is to always look out for sales. When you find the sauce that you like is on sale, buy enough until you think your grocery store will have it on sale again. Spaghetti sauce has a pretty decent shelf life, lasting around 2 to 3 months if stored correctly. If you do not mind trying new things, when you are shopping for sauces, look at the different kinds to see which ones are on sale and try something different. Who knows, you might find a new favorite.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.