How Much Does a String Quartet for a Wedding Cost?
A string quartet is a beautiful and elegant way to entertain your guests at any event. Since some brides are not satisfied with an organ or music played over a loudspeaker, many turn to a local quartet to create live music for their wedding.
A string quartet is a group of four individuals playing stringed instruments. The most common combination of these instruments is two violins, one viola, and one cello.
How much does it cost?
- In most cases, the cost of a string quartet for a wedding depends greatly on how long the group will perform as well as the location of the event. On average, be prepared to spend $300 to $650 for the first hour, followed by $50 to $125 for every half-hour after that. The more popular and talented the group is, the more you should expect to pay. On top of this, popular or tourist areas can charge double to triple this amount.
- According to one string quartet on WeddingWire.com, they charge $480 for the first hour and $100 for each additional half-hour.
- One member on WeddingBee.com received three quotes that range from $350 to as much as $650 for one hour. On that same thread, others claimed they received quotes that ranged anywhere from $400 to as much as $575 per hour.
What is going to be included?
- Most quartets will include prelude music for around 30 minutes before the start of the wedding ceremony—that is when guests start arriving at the venue.
- Special music can also be played during the entourage as well as for the bride’s walk down the aisle, along with music during the reception. A quartet will be able to work with any customized plan you have in mind.
- Because the members of a string quartet will usually be professional musicians, the bride and groom can personalize the playlist to include anything they want. This includes the most recent love songs written to old classics to traditional classical music.
What are the extra costs?
- Normally, a string quartet will charge you of a few hundred dollars for an hour or two of music and an additional charge for every 30 minutes.
- If they have to travel outside of their area, additional fees can be applied for every mile. Usually, this fee will apply when they travel more than 30-45 miles.
- If you need more than a quartet for your wedding, adding additional people can bring up the costs. For example, there are many string quartets that also have a piano player to accompany them and form a piano quintet.
Tips to know
- When deciding whether to hire the quartet or not, hear them play first. If you are not that impressed with their music, it is best to look at other options. Also, try to find a setting in which you can hear them play live. Hearing a string quartet on a recording will not give you a realistic idea of what they will sound like live.
- Make sure that the string quartet that you hire for your wedding can play the kind of music that you want. If you like anything specific, make it known to the quartet so that they can play according to your specifications. Most string quartets will have suggestions for you and music from which you can choose. If you want something specific, you just need to give them the names of the songs and they will learn to play them.
How can I save money?
- If you have a musician friend or family member, ask this person if they would be interested in participating in your wedding. This will not only help you save a lot of money but also make the whole event a lot more special with a friend offering his/her talent for your wedding.
- If you hire a string quartet for your wedding, make sure that you do not go over the scheduled number of hours to play music because if you do, you will have to pay extra charges for every 30 minutes more.
- Consider a string trio, which is often more affordable than a string quartet. You can also consider just a single violinist since this can be just as elegant.
- Do not forget to haggle on the price.
- Check out local colleges and universities to see if they have a string quartet that can play music for your wedding. Those who have hired a quartet from a local school paid less than $100 per hour.
- With any professional service, always make sure that you get at least three to five quotes from groups in your area.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.