How Much Do Tortilla Chips Cost?
Tortilla chips are a snack food made from corn tortillas, which are then cut into wedges and fried. Considered to be a Mexican food, these chips are usually made of yellow corn; however, it can also be made of white, blue or white corn.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the store, the prices of tortilla chips usually range anywhere from $2 to as much as $7 per bag.
- For instance, the highly popular Garden of Eatin’ Tortilla Chips retail for $19 to $25 for a box of 12.
What is going to be included?
- A tortilla chip is composed and made from corn tortillas processed and cooked until they become crispy. They are often accompanied by sauce in which they can be dipped. There are different types of tortilla chips, including baked, low carb, gluten free, and fat free.
- Some tortilla chips have stuffing inside such as vegetables and meat or something that will add more flavors to it while it maintains the crispiness of the tortilla.
- Common bag sizes include 7.5, 8, 18, 22 and 24 ounce bags.
- Chips can come in many shapes and sizes. There are tortilla rounds in large or bite size; there are tortilla triangles in large or bite size; and there are tortilla strips that are easy to dip in a jar of salsa.
- Tortilla chips can come in yellow or white corn, and they sometimes have different seasoning or flavors baked into them.
What are the extra costs?
- If a bag of chip is purchased online, you are more than likely going to have to pay shipping.
- Extra flavor and sauce such as salsa can be extra. SEE: “How much does salsa cost?“
Factors that influence the price:
- Geographical location. Highly urbanized areas such as New York or California will often sell chips higher than the ones sold in the rural areas. Mostly because of the demand of the customer and the tax that incorporates with it.
- Size. The bigger the bag of the chip, the higher the price will be.
- Brand. There are some brands that sell their chips in a higher price such as Lays because of its market value.
Tips to know:
- It is wise to know the expiration date of the bag of chips that you will buy in the grocery store if ever you buy the processed chips.
- Ask your friends and family as to what brand of chips are best or what restaurant sells the best in your area.
- It is always best that the chips maintain their crispiness or else you will lose the flavor and essence of the tortilla chip.
- If you have time and want to make your own flavor, try to make your own tortilla chip. WhatsCookingAmerica.net has a way to make your own chip.
- There are many things that you can get to accompany the tortilla chips. There are many varieties of salsa that vary in both ingredients and spiciness. There are also cheese dips made with different types of cheese. If you want a combination of the two, look for queso dip; this is a melted cheese dip that has salsa mixed in for flavor.
- Tortilla chips are a very versatile food that you can use for many purposes and in many recipes. Search for ideas online.
How can I save money?
- Consider grocery store brand chips. These bags can often be purchased for as little as $2 to $4.
- Make your own tortilla chip. This is a fun activity and you can customize your own flavor as well.
- Be sure to search for coupons before heading out to the store. Most brands have coupons in the local paper and on various social media outlets.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.