How Much Does a Tow Dolly Rental Cost?
A tow dolly is a min-trailer that comes with one wheel on each side and an axle in the middle. Its main objective is to aid the user in moving a car or any vehicle without too much pressure or force. A two dolly is most often seen behind a moving truck or a camper. While there are other ways to get your car to a new location, renting a dolly can actually be cheaper and more convenient.
How much does it cost?
- The tow dolly rental cost would be around $30 to $50 a day. Usually, the price is going to come down to the type of vehicle you have to tow and the company you rent the dolly from.
- To buy the tow dolly is an entirely different scenario than renting. The price to purchase a two dolly will be around $1,000 to $4,000 per carrier. For example, the Ultra-Tow car tow dolly retails for $1,000 to $1,500.
- To get an exact quote on rental or purchase, major companies such as Budget.com have calculators that you can use to see what it is going to cost you.
- For the heavier vehicles that have to be towed away, it could be around $2,400 to $3100. These are the machines that come with the advanced hydraulic brakes as well as the dual safety chains.
What is going to be included?
- The most basic tow dolly rental should come with the safety tools such as the chains and the straps. These are considered to be basic necessities that help to prevent accidents during the moving of the car.
- It is important that the vehicle that will be doing the towing should be heavier than the one that is being towed. Vehicles that will do the towing must be around 750 pounds heavier than the ones being pulled in order to do so efficiently.
- If you happen to live in a state that requires licenses for the tow dolly, then you have to make sure that when you are renting this out, it comes with the basic documentation. You should also be aware of the laws of each state through which you may drive.
What are the extra costs?
- A trailer hitch is going to be vital to using a two dolly. If the vehicle doing the pulling is not equipped with a trailer hitch, one will need to be purchased and installed. The cost for these hitches would be around $500 on an average.
- Insurance policies would also be part of the added costs that you have to consider for the tow dolly rental. It is wise to check this insurance as accidents might happen along the way. If you purchase a tow dolly, this can be added to your normal car insurance policy. If you are renting the tow dolly, the insurance will be provided by the rental company for an additional charge.
- If you are not towing the car with your own vehicle, you may have to rent a moving truck. This can cost anywhere from $50 to $200 per day. Again, this depends on the company that you choose.
- If you purchase a tow dolly, keep in mind that there will be maintenance in the future. This could include things such as new tires or new chains and straps.
Factors that influence the price:
- The heavier the vehicle that you have to pull will affect the price of the tow dolly rental.
- Modern functions and features such as the load capacity of the tow dolly will have an impact to the overall cost of the tool.
- Functions that involve automated lifts for the hitches and the trailers will also have this higher cost for the prices.
Tips to know:
- Choose a tow dolly rental that is insured as any accidents or slip ups during the transfer will be covered by the policy.
- The weight of the tow dolly rental should also be considered. The lesser that it weighs, the lighter the load that your vehicle will pull. The heavier the load, the more gas the vehicle will use.
- Proper use of the tow dolly must be observed to prevent accidents and to make sure that it will be safe for use. Make sure that person who is driving the vehicle that is pulling the dolly is experienced. Basic driving maneuvers are much different when pulling something like a dolly.
- If you are just moving a car one time, renting a dolly is your best option. If you do a lot of camping and wish to pull your car behind your RV, then purchasing will be a better option than renting.
How can I save money?
- The best way to save money on the tow dolly rental is to make sure that you have it tested prior to getting a contract with the brand. This means you have to assess and review the weight and load of the vehicle you will be pulling as well as the capacity of the tow dolly to carry such. The rental company should be able to help you with this process.
- Call up a handful of rental companies. Major companies such as Uhaul and Penske allow you to get quotes directly on their page.
- If renting from a larger company, some do offer discounts if you hold cards such as AAA.
- If you wish to purchase a tow dolly, see if you can get one used. These are very durable pieces of equipment and can be used for many years.