How Much Does Transcendental Meditation Cost?
Transcendental meditation allows your active mind to settle inward, through quiet levels of thought, until you experience the most silent level of your own awareness.
How much is it?
- Some have reported that they were able to get the full course for only $50 in the 70s; however, nowadays because it has gained too much media hype, the cost can go as high as $2,500 and up. The TM course fee will depend on the company providing the lessons, and it will also depend if it will be a group session or a personal one-on-one instruction.
- According to Tm.org, the course fee for adults requires an initial payment of $375 with three additional payments of $375, bringing the total to $1,500. Full-time students should plan on paying $750 for the total program, while couples can expect to pay $2,250.
What is going to be included?
- Transcendental meditation is a 20-minute meditation that is done twice a day while sitting comfortably while the eyes are closed. It is not considered a religion or a philosophy in life but it is considered to be a part of self-development.
- This form of meditation is very popular because a lot of celebrities in Hollywood swear by it; Moby and Russell Brand are known for recommending it including filmmakers like Eraserhead and Blue Velvet. Oprah is also known for advocating this type of meditation.
- The only difference, when compared with other forms of meditation, is that each participant would be given a special keyword or password that they will use for their own benefit during the meditation process. It is a particular mantra that they can use to reinforce the relaxation and the learning, it was given after they have completed the training session.
- There are several benefits of transcendental meditation. The person can gain clearer thinking and understanding. Another benefit of meditation is that it reduces stress, which in turn reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. Studies have shown that people who regularly practice meditation will live longer lives.
What are the extra costs?
- Tmfree.blogspot.com lists the extra costs to consider when signing up for the program.
- Optional self-help books or audio guides can be an additional cost.
- While optional, additional costs can include weekend retreats, consultations, etc.
Tips to know:
- It has been scientifically proven to reduce stress and releases creativity by detoxifying the mind from constant worrying.
- Those who have tried this swear that it has allowed them to increase their intelligence and emotional development throughout the years.
- Transcendental meditation is just another form of relaxation; the truth is you can practice all kinds of relaxing techniques on your own.
- To simplify it, TM is just relaxing for 20 minutes to 1 hour each day. Anybody can benefit from this mental exercise if he practices it every day but a person does not really need to spend thousands of dollars just to feel the effect.
- There is much controversy regarding the validity of the results of transcendental meditation. However, there has also never been anything to show any negative side effects of meditation, so it does not hurt to try it.
How can I save money?
- Find classes that are willing to offer TM for just $150-$350 for group sessions. If you do not have the money to afford these sessions, you can check online. Type the word “free meditation techniques” and browse through thousands of pages and videos on how you can start learning meditation.
- The technique can be learned in just over an hour. Instead of signing up with a guru, you can just buy a self-help book on Transcendental meditation which will usually cost three times less than the actual meditation sessions.
- If you are a student, take advantage of the student discount.
- For those that meet certain financial requirements, grants and scholarships may be available.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.