How Much Does Vegetable Oil Cost?
Vegetable oil is one of the many types of oil that is used in cooking. Some people use it for cooking so that the item does not stick to the pan, while other use it to deep fry items in.
How much is it?
- Vegetable oil will cost anywhere from $2 to $9 for a large bottle. The price depends on the brand and size of the container.
- For example, a 24-ounce bottle of Pure Wesson 100% natural vegetable oil retails for $9 to $11.
- This 48-ounce bottle of Great Value vegetable oil at Walmart retails for $3 to $5.
What is going to be included?
- Vegetable oil can usually be purchased in 16 ounces, 24 ounces, 48 ounces, 64 oz and 1-gallon containers.
- You get the number of ounces of vegetable oil that you decide to purchase in the container it comes packaged in.
- Vegetable oil is commonly used for shortening or to add texture and add flavor to food.
- Popular brands include Crisco, Wesson, PAM and Zoye.
- The most common types of vegetable oils include palm, soybean, sunflower seed, rapeseed, peanut, cottonseed and palm kernel.
What are the extra costs?
- If you use quite a bit of vegetable oil, you should consider buying in bulk. Check out your local bulk foods store to see what their prices are like. If they are reasonable, you may want to consider purchasing your oil there. Just remember that most bulk food and warehouse stores require that you purchase a yearly membership in order to shop their store. So make sure that you are happy with their merchandise before you commit to a full year.
Tips to know:
- Just because a particular brand of vegetable oil is more expensive than another, it does not mean it is better. Read the label and be sure that regardless of the brand you buy that it does say 100% vegetable oil. That way, you are not buying oil with additives that are bad for your body and your heart.
- Also, if you are buying oil for a deep fryer, it is best not to buy the most expensive brand. This is because experts recommend that you change your oil often in the fryer, especially after doing anything involving fish. If you do not, the rest of your fried foods will start to look discolored and start tasting funny.
- Vegetable oil is a triglyceride that is extracted from a plant. This type of oil is used quite frequently, but there are many nutritionists that claim the use of it should be limited or even avoided altogether.
- Many of the vegetable oil varieties are called “vegetable” oil but do not actually come from any type of vegetable seed. Instead, they are processed using a lot of biologically active fats and other artificial ingredients.
- The balance between the types of fatty acids in the body is extremely important. Vegetable oil contains so many fatty acids that it can mess with the way that the body stores fats.
- Vegetable oil is very high in trans fat, which is the worst type of fat. This can cause an increased risk of inflammation due to injuries, illnesses, or diseases.
- The ingredients in vegetable oil have been shown to increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- While these may all be scary thoughts, understand that vegetable oil is not your only option. There are other types of oil that can be used for the same purposes that do not pose such health threats. The best alternative is olive oil. According to fitday.com, “Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which lowers cholesterol. Virgin olive oil also contains polyphenol, which is an antioxidant that protects the body from free radical damage. Olive oil has the largest amount of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat compared to all other naturally produced oils.”
How can I save money?
- Buy your oil when it is on sale and buy multiple quantities. In doing so, this will prevent you from having to go out and buy vegetable oil again until it is on sale another time.
- Also, check your newspaper and the Internet for coupons for vegetable oil products. This can save you a ton especially if you are not picky about what brands that you purchase. Keep an eye out for certain stores that have packaged deals where you buy two for the price of one.
- As mentioned above, you are going to save the most money when you make your purchase at a local wholesale club.
- Consider the store brand vegetable oil over the name brand.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.