How Much Does a Visa Gift Card Cost?
A Visa gift card is the perfect gift for those people who are difficult to shop for. This card will work just like a credit card and will be accepted everywhere Visa is accepted. Unlike most gift cards, however, a surcharge will be applied to each purchase you make.
How much is it?
- Since a Visa gift card is looked at as a prepaid card, most stores will charge a $2 to $6 activation fee. The cost will depend on the store selling it, the Visa card, the amount of cards you’re purchasing and the amount of money that you want to put on the card.
- At Wells Fargo, a Visa gift card will cost $3.95 per card. However, if more than 10 are purchased, the cost is lowered to $2.50 per card.
What is going to be included?
- The Visa gift card will come with whatever amount of money you put on the visa gift card. For example, if you pay $27 for a $25 gift card, the user will only have $25 to spend.
- The Visa gift card will also include directions on how to use the card and a toll-free number used for customer service or to check the balance of the card.
- Common denominations of Visa gift cards include $25, $50, $100, $200 and $500.
- Funds on the gift card will never expire.
- Gift cards will not have ATM access.
- Cards are going to come in various designs and patterns, along with the bank logo that issued the prepaid card. These designs can include something holiday specific or something popular such as a sports team.
- There is no age limit on a Visa gift card.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional shipping fees may apply if you purchase the gift card online. However, you could just choose to have it sent straight to the person for whom you are buying it.
- Aside from buying the gift card, you may want to consider purchasing a gift card holder or small gift bag.
Tips to know:
- A Visa gift card is not like a Visa credit card, and it is not accepted everywhere. For example, you cannot swipe it at the gas pump to prepay for gas. You would have to take in inside and pay at the register before you could pump your gas. There should be a website, as well as a customer service number included with your card that can offer additional information on when and where you can use your Visa gift card. If you want to make a purchase online, your name and address will have to be associated with the card. To do this, most cards allow you to tie your name to your card by signing into the account online. When going these routes, there may be a temporary hold of funds, plus 20 percent.
- Remember that a Visa gift card is not in your specific name and it is simply live money. If you happen to lose your Visa gift card, you will just lose the money altogether.
- Trying to return an item purchased with your Visa gift card can be very difficult as well. Because of this, it is highly recommended that if you are purchasing anything that you may return like jeans or shoes, you may want to use a different form of tender.
- Before purchasing a card, make sure that you know the limitations on that particular card. Some cards only allow you to put so much on the card.
- Use a Visa gift card as a last resort. If possible, consider buying a store gift card with no fees or simply giving the person cash.
How can I save money?
- Some stores will charge you a fee for purchasing, but they may have a promotion to offset that initial activation charge. Keep your eyes peeled, especially during the holidays, for these types of deals.
- Check with your local bank to see if they offer any deals.
- The more cards you purchase at once, the more you are going to be able to save.