How Much Does a Wheelchair Cost?
A wheelchair is a chair with wheels. This wheelchair can either be powered manually or with a small electric motor. The chair will often have handles behind it to allow it to be pushed by another person. Wheelchairs are often used by those who can’t walk due to an illness, injury or disability.
How much does a wheelchair cost?
- The price of a wheelchair depends on the type of wheelchair. One can be propelled by a motor while the other is operated manually. The cost will also depend on the brand, type and where it’s purchased from.
- On average, the simplest wheelchairs can be anywhere from $90 to $160, while wheelchairs with more features can cost $250 to $450.
- If you are looking for electric powered wheelchairs, the price for a travel power wheelchair can start at $1,300 to $1,700, while a heavy duty wheelchair can be purchased from $1,700 to $3,200.
- For example, the highly rated Drive Medical Blue Streak wheelchair retails for $114 to $280. This is an 18″ chair with a fully padded back and comes with solid rubber tires.
What is going to be included?
- If you purchase a manually operated wheelchair, it will include a warranty from the manufacturer. The wheelchair is also foldable which makes it easy to store and light so it is not hard to pick up. Some wheelchairs may also have added accessories such as trays for feeding.
- Modern wheelchairs or those powered by a motor include a control mechanism that can manipulate the direction and speed of the wheelchair. It will also have a battery with a charger since it runs on electricity.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs involved when purchasing a wheelchair are the additional items or accessories that can be added to the wheelchair for added functionality. For example, common accessories that most purchase include feeding trays and additional cushions that are more comfortable.
- If you own an electric wheelchair, you will need to buy spare batteries in case the stock battery runs out.
- For those that live in a home that is not handicap ready, a wheelchair ramp may have to be installed. See: “How much does a wheelchair ramp cost?“
- If an electric wheelchair is purchased, the user will need a vehicle with the capabilities of lifting and storing the wheelchair.
Tips to know:
- Most of the wheelchairs used today are the manually operated ones. This helps people that use it to remain active as they use their arms to move the device. If you do not have the capability or the strength to move a wheelchair, you can opt to use the electric powered wheelchair since it is easier to operate.
How can I save money?
- To save money, know your own capabilities. If you can manage to operate a regular wheelchair, then you should opt to purchase one of these since it will be considerably cheaper than the electric powered wheelchairs.
- Shop around and check with different stores to see how much they will charge for the item. Most stores would carry it at discounted rates.
- If possible, also consider looking for used wheelchairs on sites such as eBay or even Craigslist. If you need a wheelchair for only a short amount of time, you can probably find one to borrow until you are able to walk again.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.