How Much Does Whipped Cream Cost?
Whipped cream is formed when a simple cream is beaten until it reaches a fluffy and light consistency. Whipping the cream can be done with an electric mixer or just by manual whisking with a fork, egg whisk or beater.
Whipped cream can be made at home, but it can also be purchased from the local grocery store. Whipped cream can be used a topper for many things such as s pie, ice cream, cupcakes, or other sweet desserts.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a can of whipped cream at a local grocery store is going to cost anywhere from $1 to as much as $6 per seven-ounce container.
- Thekitchn.com reviewed a grade-A, shelf stable whipping cream by Trader Joe’s that retails for $1.29.
- Timesharegrocery.com lists a few prices of whipped cream and they ranged anywhere from $2 to $6 per can. For example, a 7-ounce Hy-Top Light whipped cream retails for $2.69. 15 ounces of Land-O-Lakes whipped cream topping retails for $5.59, while a 6.5-ounce can of Reddi Whip whipped cream retails for $3.69.
- Many restaurants or cafes offer whipped cream for your drinks or desserts but will charge extra for it. This could be from $.50 to $1.
What is going to be included?
- Whipped cream usually comes in a carton box or an aerosol can.
- Common sizes usually range from 6 to 14 ounces.
- Typical aerosol cans are going to include up to 50 single servings. Serving sizes are usually measured in tablespoons.
- Whipped cream is going to contain at least 30% butterfat that is mixed with the air to create a whipped texture. Some brands offer regular whipped cream and light whipped cream.
What are the extra costs?
- If the retailer or distributor does not include the shipping fees, you may need to factor this in.
- Extra sugar or extra thick cream may cost more than traditional whipped cream.
- Whipped cream is often flavored with items such as coffee, chocolate, orange and many others. Be sure to set aside a budget for these additional flavors. These are especially good when using the whipped cream as a topping to other desserts.
Factors that influence the price
- Store. Every store that sells whipped cream has varied price list for their product, thus making the cost for each can different. Generally, store brands are going to be cheaper than name brands as mentioned below.
- Brand. Different brands of whipped cream also sell their products in different price ranges.
- Packaging. Whipped cream is often packed in carton boxes or in aerosol cans. Aerosol cans tend to be 30% more than those sold in cartons.
- Type. Whether whipped cream is flavored or original will affect the price that is charged. There may also be a lightly higher price for the light version of whipped cream.
Tips to know:
- Whipped cream is actually just cream that was whipped or whisked to a certain consistency. To kitchen experts, there are different levels of consistency of the whipped cream that is required for different kinds of dishes.
- Prepared whipped creams in cartons, cans or aerosols may not always have the consistency that is needed for a certain food preparation. However, the cream can be whisked until the consumer is satisfied with the consistency.
- It is possible to make your own whipped cream. There are many recipes and tricks that you can find online that can help you.
How can I save money?
- Buying in bulk can help save you as much as 50% off of the retail price.
- Look out for whipped cream that is marked down or on sale. During the warmer months when ice cream and pies are in demand, whipped cream can go on sale quite often. You can actually take advantage of products that are put on sale to cut your costs for whipped cream.
- Many name brands have coupons on their social media outlets and in the local newspaper. Keep your eyes peeled to see if you can take advantage of any deals.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.