How Much Does AKC Registration Cost?
The AKC, or American Kennel Club, is a registry for purebred dogs in the United States. Aside from registering dogs, the club also promotes events such as the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show and the National Dog Show. This club is the largest registry in the United States and is the only not-for-profit registry. For a purebred dog to be registered with the AKC, the dog’s parents will have to be registered with the AKC as the same breed.
How much does AKC registration cost?
- According to AKC.org, individual dog registration can cost $30 to $74. The price for dog registration only costs $30 while registration that includes pedigree, video offers and lost and found can cost $74.
- For litters that will be registered for over 12 months, the price will greatly increase from $30 to $65. If you are going to get the whole package, the cost can increase anywhere from $65 to $109. For dogs that will be registered for over 24 months, the price can increase to $95 to $139.
What is going to be included?
- To make it easier for dog owners to have their dogs registered with AKC, the organization offers online registration. Online registration allows for a quick registering procedure that can be done on the organization’s website.
- Your registered dog will receive several benefits from the organization, one of which includes a framed certificate of registration. They will also receive a trial pet health care plan. Your dog will also be entitled to get a complimentary first veterinary visit.
- Aside from medical privileges, your dog will also be able to participate in events held by the organization; they will also receive handbooks and optional registration packages depending on the breed.
What are the extra costs?
- Aside from dog registration, AKC offers valuable added services such as lost and found, video offers, and pedigree. The price for these added services varies depending on the age of the litter that is being registered
- There are fees involved for transfer of ownership; this can cost anywhere from $30 to $49.
- Co-owner fees are also applicable. Each additional owner will pay $10.
Tips to know:
- AKC registration is not mandatory and you should consider if your dog’s lifestyle would suit the benefits being offered by the organization. Consider registering your dog with AKC if you feel that you will benefit from what they can offer. If you are simply looking for a household pet and companionship and are not interested in competitions and such, then skip the AKC registration.
How can I save money?
- Since there are different registration types offered by AKC, try to choose the most basic registration that they offer. If you do not need the other services provided by the organization, the registration cost can be reduced by up to $25.
- The younger your dog is, the least expensive the registration will be. Make sure that you register your dog the earliest possible time to ensure that the fee is at a minimum.