How Much Does Alligator Meat Cost?
Alligator meat is edible for consumption and can be cooked in many different ways. Although many people would think it weird to eat alligator meat, many other people consider it a delicacy and really enjoy eating it. Alligator meat is quite healthy, being lower in fat and cholesterol when compared to the chicken. Because there are few alligator breeders available, alligators must be caught in the wild. The meat, therefore, is very hard to come by.
Alligators are native to only two countries, the United States and China. In the United States, the majority of alligators reside in Florida or Louisiana and usually live in freshwater environments such as ponds, lakes, or swamps. The average alligator weighs about 800 pounds and can be 13 to 15 feet long. This means that one alligator can provide a lot of meat. Most of the meat that is eaten comes from the tail of the alligator; this meat is said to have the texture of veal but the taste of chicken, rabbit, or fish. Alligator meat can be grilled, fried, made into soup or stew, or prepared many other ways. In Louisiana, alligator is commonly used in Cajun dishes such as gumbo or jambalaya.
How much is it?
- Because eating alligator meat is so rare and not normally consumed by the average person, the meat can be hard to find and can cost more than other types of meat. These prices can be based on thing such as the geographical location, the type of alligator, the quality of the meat and the part of the alligator. On average, plan on spending around $6 to $15 per pound. Most retailers will sell the meat in two to three pound packs.
- For example, CajunGrocer.com is an online store that is based in Louisiana. The alligator meat that they sell is from alligators that are raised locally. Alligator legs sold on this site are available as marinated legs or natural. They come in two pound packs and are sold for $13 to $15. The alligator meat is sometimes combined with pork and this combination is usually sold for $8 to $11. You can also purchase alligator nuggets from this store for $28 to $30 per 2 pound pack.
- Exotic Meat Market offers 16 ounces of ground alligator meat for $20 to $40. Ready-made alligator meat patties can also be purchased from this site; you can buy 3 pounds of meat for $20 to $40. Beef is not the only type of meat that can be made into steaks. You can also purchase alligator sirloin steak from this site and this will usually cost anywhere from $30 to $100 depending on the amount of meat.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the store that sells the alligator meat, it can be prepared in a number of ways that will suit your preference. Alligator meat is also obtained from the different parts of the alligator which would also dictate the quality of the meat.
What are the extra costs?
- Like beef or pork, you can simply purchase alligator meat and cook it, so there are no additional costs involved when buying them unless you bought it from an online store which will charge shipping fees.
- Aside from the recipes, you will probably need other cooking supplies such as seasonings and garnishments.
Tips to know:
- Because this meat is expensive, be very careful about the way that you prepare it. Make sure you get a good recipe and do not try anything too outlandish. Follow the recipe very closely so you do not take a chance on wasting the meat.
- Some people consider eating alligator meat to be animal cruelty, especially when the alligator is caught in the wild and then sold. Make sure you take this into account if preparing alligator meat for guests of any kind.
How can I save money?
- Some stores that sell alligator meat offer big discounts from time to time. You may want to seek out these stores to make sure that you get the meat at affordable prices.
- Purchasing alligator meat in bulk can often save you upwards of 20 to 30 percent. Be sure to ask the supplier to see what kind of discounts they can provide.
- Alligator meat is not a necessity, and therefore you do not need to purchase it all if money is an issue. If you are wanting to try it just one time, it would be better to simply go to a restaurant that serves it so you can save the trouble of purchasing the meat. You can also avoid the risk of wasting the meat if you do something wrong.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.