How Much Does Alternator Repair Cost?
The car alternator is used to charge the battery and power the electrical system while the car is running.
How much does alternator repair cost?
- On average, plan on spending anywhere from $30 to $85 to replace the alternator belt and nothing else. If you have to have a professional assist you with the job, the cost can shoot up to as high as $100 to $175. The cost of replacing a car alternator will depend on the vehicle make and model; the mechanic performing the job; and the geographical area.
- If the entire alternator has to be replaced, the cost of replacing it can be $250 to as much as $600. This is going to depend on the brand and model of the vehicle.
- For instance, a Bosch AL6509N Alternator that is brand new can retail for $100 to $200. A MasterQuality 20182 refurbished alternator can retail for $48 to $65.
- Foreign alternator parts are going to cost more than American made alternator parts. For instance, a Ford or GM alternator can retail for $150 to $250 while a Toyota part can cost as much as $350.
- According to a Buzzle.com article, the alternator replacement cost can be anywhere from $175 to as much as $400 depending on the make and model of the car.
What are the extra costs?
- Since the an alternator is what helps start a car, a tow truck may be required to get the car to a local garage. Local towing fees will usually cost $100.
- Older cars can have rust around the alternator which makes it hard to remove. If this is the case, some mechanics may charge an additional $25 to $50 to remove it.
- Local mechanics can charge as much as $90 per hour to perform a job. If the job takes longer than the allotted time, additional hourly fees can apply.
- An alternator is ran by your serpentine belt. If the mechanic deems that the belt needs to be replaced, this can be considered an additional cost. See: “How much does a serpentine belt cost?“
What is going to be included?
- The average alternator repair job is going to take around one hour to perform. Depending on the severity of the problem, the mechanic will free the alternator and replace it with a new one. If the belt has to be replaced, the alternator will stay put, and only the belt will be removed.
- The alternator is one of the main components of your car. Without this part, your car isn’t going to work properly. Every time you use your power seats, air conditioning, GPS and radio, your alternator is going to do all the work.
Tips to know:
- A rebuilt alternator may seem like a good idea, but this will not last as long as a new one. If this is a newer car, it may be worth the extra $100 investment.
- Read some guides online to make sure that you know that your alternator has to be replaced. You may find that something such as the belt or another part has to be replaced. While it may be scary to work on your own car, there are many things that you can do on your own.
How can I save money?
- Consider purchasing a refurbished alternator. This is a great alternative for those who have an older car. If you decide that you want to purchase a used but refurbished alternator, just make sure that the part comes with some sort of limited warranty.
- If you are going to have a professional mechanic fix the alternator for you, you should try to get as many quotes as possible. Most mechanics will be able to give you a quote or ballpark figure over the phone.
- Dealerships are going to be an expensive choice. Unless you have some sort of warranty, it is going to be best to avoid them. Consider talking with a local shop that is independently owned.
- If purchasing the part from a local auto parts store, consider looking for a coupon. Many auto part shops have coupons readily available online.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.