How Much Does Ant Hill Art Cost?
Instead of wiping out nuisance ants with pesticides, an anonymous American artist is much more astute about it. Ant hill art fills ant colonies with molten aluminum, creating massive, intricate castings showing the architecture of the ants’ nests.
How much is it?
- On average, the cost of the art is going to greatly depend on the piece and the competition. The average price can range anywhere from a few hundred to more than a few thousand.
- A member on StraightDope.com stated that one auction was close to the $4,200 range.
What is going to be included?
- During the process, they first melt aluminum and then the molten hot aluminum is poured down an anthill, filling the labyrinthine passageways and chambers. The artist then waits for the liquid to re-harden by cooling and solidifying, then extracts it and finally cleans the excess dirt. The result is a stunning piece of artwork that gives you a look at what the underground world of the ants looks like. The pesky ant hills are turned into elaborate, educational sculptures.
- The owner of anthillart.com has defended the methodology stating that most of the colonies belong to the invasive species of ants, known as the fire ant/Solenopsis ant, that is already subject to eradication programs. They sell the finished art products on eBay to collectors, homeowners, and schools. There are casts of different types of ants that have been sold previously, all taking on peculiar shapes.
- Anthill Art sells cast aluminum sculptures of ant colonies which are made by pouring molten aluminum directly into an ant colony. They create metal sculptures which alternately resemble stalagmites, Christmas trees, and deformed antlers through pouring molten aluminum into active anthills. The revealing works of art are created by the pouring the molten liquid to fill the tunnels and chambers of the ant nests, wiping out all of the insects inside. Once the metal re-hardens, the sculpture is excavated and blasted using water to remove dirt and impurities. Before they are dug up, it’s brushed down and then mounted on a wooden base.
- The final piece reveals the remarkable twists and turns which make up an ant colony. The Anthill Art sculptures expose the varying colony designs of various ant species, from the simple branching nest of carpenter ants to the complex colony of fire ants. The sculptures are currently for sale on eBay
What are the extra costs?
- You will need to also factor in the shipping and transportation cost of the art pieces.
Tips to know
- Though probably insensitive to fire ants in the ant hills, pouring molten aluminum into the ant hill does reveal the intricate labyrinth of passageways and tunnels hidden underneath the ground. The sculptures are certainly beautiful and sort of out-of-this-world, particularly with the aluminum façade. The sophistication of the structures as well as the varying styles of each colony all result in a fascinating décor at home or great learning tool at school.
- To find this art, keep your eyes peeled on eBay.
How can I save money?
- You can find pieces on eBay and anthillart.com. Go to these websites and compare the prices to find one that suits your budget.