How Much Do Architectural Shingles Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Architectural shingles, also called composite or dimensional shingles, have a heavier base mat at the bottom and can have several layers, making it appear like a three dimensional figure. This type of shingle was developed sometime in the 1970s, particularly for the high-end real estate clients. It has a texture that looks similar to cedar shakes and is perfect for hiding imperfections in the roof or the structure of the building.
How much does it cost?
- The cost for putting up architectural shingles can vary. The price will depend on several factors like the quality of materials used, brand, the geographical location, and the contractor. The average bundle price of architectural shingles is around $16 to $30. With a bundle, there are three to a “square.” A square can cover 100 square feet. So for every 100 square feet, architectural shingles could cost $48 to $90 for the materials alone. This will not include the professional labor.
- Lowes.com, for example, sells bundles of architectural shingles that range anywhere from $25 to $30 per bundle.
- According to HomeConstructionImprovement.com, architectural shingles are more expensive than three tab shingles. They cost around 20 percent more than the latter. Others that have as long as a fifty year warranty cost more since they make a home’s appraisal more valuable.
- On the other hand, the website of Jamarhouses.com claims that architectural shingles can cost up to 40 percent more than the traditional three tab shingles. Since this is usually installed on the roofs of high end homes, architectural shingles will cost around $1,000 to $1,500 more than three tab shingles.
What is going to be included?
- Architectural shingles may include a warranty length of 25 to 50 years, depending on the material and product. The high end laminated shingles help improve the aesthetic appeal or curb appeal of your home, making it more valuable.
- Putting up architectural shingles gives people more flexibility since they are able to customize how they would look. It basically includes more choices. Architectural shingles are also heavier and sturdier, making them less prone to damage brought by the weather.
- Architectural shingles include various color schemes from which the home owner can choose.
- The shingles include a mat base made of organic materials or fibreglass, asphalt, coating, and granulated covering. Architectural shingles are not only aesthetically good, they are also strong and very durable.
- These types of shingles will be constructed with a heavier base mat that has additional layers, giving them that 3D look. The weight, compared to traditional shingles, can be more than 50% higher.
- Architectural shingles are rated to withstand winds up to 120 mph.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs would be incurred for delivery or transportation of the materials. Hiring a contractor and several people to install the architectural shingles would also require additional budget, particularly for labor and construction costs. To get an exact quote in your area for professional services, websites such as HomeAdvisor.com can help.
Factors that influence the cost:
- Materials. There are different materials used in architectural shingles, and this will be a determining factor in the cost of the product.
- Location. The area in which you live can make the price either rise or fall according to the cost of living.
- Contractor. There are many companies that can install the architectural shingles for you, and each of them may charge differently. This will usually be decided by the size and reputation of their company.
- Size. The size of the home or building can have an affect on the cost of the project.
- Complexity. If the roof is a basic shape, the installation and materials will be much cheaper than if the roof is complicated and has many turns and angles.
Tips to know:
- Try to take note of the leading brands that sell architectural shingles. Look for the best brand- the one with good quality so that you will get the value of your money.
- Among the top brands of architectural shingles are Atlas, GAF, Corning, Certain Teed, Tamko, Elk.
- In addition to the look and texture provided by architectural shingles, the biggest advantage is the life of the shingles. While tradition shingles will last only about 10 years and then will need to be replaced, architectural shingles can last up to 50 years. Because of this, they can make your house worth more in addition to looking better.
How can I save money?
- You can save money by purchasing a good quality product. Even if you invest more money for architectural shingles, you can save money in the long run if the product can last. So make sure that you only use the best architectural shingles.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.