How Much Does Asphalt Resurfacing Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Asphalt resurfacing is a process used to repair an asphalt driveway, street, or parking lot. Asphalt is one of the main materials used in road construction, along with concrete and gravel. The price of asphalt falls somewhere in the middle of gravel and concrete, and like anything, it has its flaws. For example, asphalt surfaces can begin to crack
For example, asphalt surfaces can begin to crack over time, especially if the foundation wasn’t perfect. There are many options that you have when asphalt needs to be repaired. You could choose to simply patch the areas that are in poor condition and fill the cracks that have appeared. Another option is repairing the area, which would entail ripping out the old asphalt and reconstructing the foundation. Asphalt resurfacing, however, is a simply a layer of asphalt (usually 1-3″ thick) that is laid on top of the existing asphalt, creating a new appearance.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the company performing the job, the size of the job and geographical location, the costs for asphalt resurfacing will usually range around $1.50 to $3.50 per square foot.
- According to Drivewayguide.com, the cost of asphalt resurfacing is less than having a new asphalt driveway installed. The cost of asphalt replacement, where a fresh topcoat is placed onto the old asphalt surface, is around $1.50 to $2 per square foot.
- According to other sources, an asphalt resurfacing may cost around $5,495 for applying a 2 ½ inch layer of state approved asphalt of 3,285 square feet. This is around $1.67 per square foot based on the information from Gardenweb.com.
What is going to be included?
- Asphalt resurfacing basically includes cleaning the old surface, chipping away the edges to ensure adhesion, and putting on the topcoat. The process should be able to be completed in a day. The cost of a topcoat may vary by location and the condition of the existing driveway.
- Asphalt includes various categories depending on the temperature at which it is applied. Asphalt is categorized as hot mix asphalt (HMA), warm mix asphalt, or cold mix asphalt. Hot mix asphalt is applied at temperatures over 300°F while warm mix asphalt is applied at temperatures of 200–250°F. Cold mix asphalt is used on lower volume rural roads and is of lower quality. Hot mix asphalt is the best quality but is also the most expensive.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be required for additional repairs or maintenance of the asphalt driveway after the resurfacing is accomplished.
- The everyday maintenance of an asphalt driveway includes clearing it of debris and standing water. More in-depth maintenance includes sealcoating. This is usually done once even year or two and is simply a thick paint-type material that is applied to the surface to protect it from the elements.
- If your driveway has cracks in it, you should either fill them yourself with cold crack filler (can be purchased at any home improvement store) or have a company come fill the cracks with hot rubber. This usually costs quite a bit, but the hot rubber material will be able to fill in the crack as well as stop it from further cracking.
- A good asphalt driveway can last up to 20 years. If the driveway is older than this, it may have to be replaced completely.
Tips to know
- Before having your asphalt driveway resurfaced, try to shop around for price quotes from at least three reputable contractors. This will allow you to compare prices and quality. What is important is that you get the work done with good results. If you do not know where to compare quotes, consider using free quote search engines such as HomeAdvisor.com.
- You can make some alternative options before deciding to have the asphalt resurfaced. For instance, you may opt to use a cold patch or asphalt crack sealers for small cracks in your driveway before spreading an asphalt driveway sealer over it.
- Get advice from a professional before deciding to work on some asphalt replacement on your driveway. You may find that you will not even need it.
- When hiring a professional to resurface your driveway, be sure that he is registered, bonded and insured. Most reputable contractors are part of one or more trade associations.
How can I save money?
- By getting the work done by experienced and reputable people (contractor or laborer), you will be able to save a lot of money in the long run. A good work quality can save you maintenance and repair costs later.
- Remember that asphalt resurfacing is going to be a lot cheaper than completely reinstalling a driveway.
- With any contracting job, always make sure that you get at least three to five quotes for the job.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.