How Much Does a Bag of Ice Cost?
Whether you need ice for a party or a large outing, your ice cube trays or refrigerator may not be enough. Thankfully, your local store will have bags of ice that you can purchase. Most bags of ice will be made from purified water.
How much is it?
- On average, a bag of ice will cost anywhere from as little as $1 for a 10-pound bag to as much as $6 for a 20-pound bag. The cost of ice will depend on the amount in the bag and the store selling it. A block of ice, which usually weighs around 50 pounds, can cost $20 to $35.
- Sam’s Club, for instance, sells their 20-pound bag for $3 a bag.
- The Ice Factory, located in New Jersey, charges $1.75 for a 7-pound bag, $4.50 for a 20-pound bag and $8 for a 40-pound bag.
What is going to be included?
- The average bag of ice will come in a 10, 16 or 20-pound bag.
- There are four main types of ice that you can purchase. The first and most common is the cubed ice. This is ice that is formed in cubes that may or may not have holes in the middle. This type of ice is the kind that is usually used in drinks. The second form is cracked ice, which will just be chunks of ice from when an ice block was broken. This is best used in a cooler when trying to keep things cold. Third, you could buy shaved ice, which is very fine-grained ice. This is ideal for things such as snow cones. Finally, ice can be purchased in a large block rather than broken or shaved into smaller pieces. Blocks of ice used to be the most common, and people had to break it themselves and make their own smaller pieces of ice. Today, ice blocks can come in a variety of shapes, such as rings, that are great for large coolers or containers of a drink that is being dispensed.
What are the extra costs?
- The cost of ice is usually dependent upon the geographical location. Warmer climates, such as Arizona or California, may find themselves paying $1 to $3 more per bag compared to other states.
- A cooler or shipping container can cost anywhere from $10 to $50 depending on the size and brand.
- If you do purchase a block of ice, you will need an ice pick and/or other tools to crack it into pieces.
- If you are using the ice to plan a picnic or outdoor event, you will need to purchase a fairly large cooler.
Tips to know:
- Bags of ice can be found at various locations such as the grocery store, gas station, camp grounds, marinas, strip malls, truck stops and convenience stores.
- Most ice retailers do more than one-third of their business in the summer months.
- During warmer days, highly consider bringing your cooler along to fill it up with the ice that you purchased. Ice that sits in the trunk for a few minutes can melt relatively fast.
- If you want to be creative with alternatives to bags of ice, consider this HotDogProfits.com comment section.
How can I save money?
- Consider making your own ice at home. If you think you are going to be purchasing more ice in the future, consider purchasing smaller ice trays at a local dollar store. If your refrigerator has an ice making option, consider filling up a cooler the night before you leave. That way, when you wake up, the ice maker will be at full capacity again for another refill.
- Bags of ice will usually be the same price across town. It is best that you purchase ice as close as you can to home, especially if you are bringing it back for an event.
- Purchase ice in bulk. Some sellers may offer discounts to those who purchase more than 10 bags at once.
- Some local brands may offer coupons or deals on their website. Some may even off a free bag of ice with a purchase of a certain type or amount of beverage.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.